Five youths questioned over alleged rape of girl (15) in Dublin

Incident reportedly happened in girl’s home after she returned from a night out

Gardai are investigating an alleged sexual assault on a teenage girl in south Dublin.

Gardai are investigating an alleged sexual assault on a teenage girl in south Dublin.


Gardaí have arrested five male youths for questioning about the alleged rape of a 15-year-old girl at a property in south Dublin.

The alleged incident occurred at the victim’s home in Knocklyon earlier this year after she had been out socialising and returned to the property with a number of teenagers she had met that evening.

She has alleged she consumed alcohol and was intoxicated and when she was sleeping in an upstairs room five boys, also from south Dublin, subjected her to a sexual assault.

The boys range in ages from 14 to 16 years. They were arrested on Saturday and Sunday last and held for questioning at different Garda stations in south Dublin, with the investigation based at Rathfarnham Garda station.

The suspects were held for around 12 hours each and were released without charge after the allegations were put to them during interviews.

Garda sources said the girl made a formal complaint in which she named her alleged attackers.

That statement, along with the responses the suspects gave when questioned, have now been compiled into an investigation file with other evidence in the case.

It will be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions when completed and a decision will be taken on whether there is sufficient evidence to press criminal charges against any of the suspects.

It is understood a number of items, including clothing, have also been forensically examined as part of the investigation. There have also been searches at addresses linked to the suspects.

The incident occurred in March when the victim brought youths she met on the night in question back to her family home, which was not occupied at the time.

It is understood while the alleged victim’s parents returned to the property later that night, the allegations only emerged in the days that followed.

A formal statement of complaint was subsequently made to the Garda and an investigation into the case has been ongoing since March.

It was not clear when the DPP would make a decision on the case.