Dave Mahon (43) charged with the murder of Dean Fitzpatrick

Brother of missing Amy Fitzpatrick was fatally stabbed last May

Dave Mahon arriving at Dublin District Court today. Photograph: Collins Courts

Dave Mahon arriving at Dublin District Court today. Photograph: Collins Courts


A 43-year-old man has been charged with the murder of his partner’s son in Dublin last year.

Dave Mahon made no reply in court today when he was charged with the murder of Audrey Fitzpatrick’s son Dean, who was aged 23.

Dean Fitzpatrick, a father of a young boy, was fatally stabbed during a scuffle in an apartment at Burnell Square, Northern Cross, on the Malahide Road on May 25th last year. He was rushed to Beaumont Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Dean, originally from Donaghmede, was the brother of missing teenager Amy Fitzpatrick, who vanished in Spain six years ago.

Dave Mahon, a former estate agent from Dublin who has been living in Spain with Dean’s motherAudrey Fitzpatrick, Dean’s mother, was remanded in custody today.

Shortly after Dean’s death, Mahon had been questioned by gardaí but he was released as a file on the investigation was prepared for the DPP.

He flew back to Dublin last week.

Dressed in a grey pinstriped suit and walking with the aid of a cane, he entered the packed courtroom where he was greeted by the judge.

He waved to Audrey, who is reportedly in need of a life-saving liver transplant, as she watched the proceedings from the public gallery.

He then listened silently as Detective Garda Brendan Meares told Judge Cormac Dunne that he met Mr Mahon by appointment at 9.26am at Coolock Garda station this morning.

He said the 43-year-old, whose address is The Crescent, Ongar Village, Clonsilla, Dublin 15, was “handed a true copy of the charge and made no reply after caution”.

Det-Gda Meares agreed with defence solicitor Michael Staines that Mr Mahon met him by arrangement and that he had already been interviewed last year.

After he was released he had also kept in contact with gardaí and the detective agreed with Mr Staines that “when you required him to come back, he came back, and met you today”.

Due to the nature of the charge, the issue of bail can only considered in the High Court and Judge Dunne remanded Mr Mahon in custody.

He has not yet formally indicated how he will plead and will face his next hearing at Cloverhill District Court on April 2nd.

Mr Mahon was granted free legal aid.