Man who claims he was exposed to ammonia fumes at work settles case

Brian White has not worked since incident at Co Cork meat plant seven years ago

A security man who claimed he was exposed to ammonia fumes in a meat processing plant in Co Cork has settled his High Court action.

Brian White (51), a father of three, has not worked since the alleged exposure at the Kepak plant in Watergrasshill seven years ago.

On Wednesday, Mr White's counsel, Dr John O'Mahony SC, told the court the case had been resolved and could be struck out. He told Mr Justice Paul Coffey that the loss of earnings had been calculated up to March 2016.

The claims in the action were denied by the defendants and Kepak also claimed there was alleged contributory negligence on the part of Mr White because he had gone back into the room with a maintenance man after reporting the incident.


Previously, Mr White told the court how he became “overwhelmed and dizzy” as he took readings in the Kepak factory compressor room. He said he staggered out of the factory compressor room and gasped for air as he left the room. He said his eyes were burning, his throat was sore and he had a “savage” pain in his head.

Mr White said he went to get a maintenance man. He said he continued with his work but he “was getting worse and worse”. He said he had no knowledge of ammonia and had not received instruction on the chemical.

Mr White, of Pollardstown, Mitchelstown, Co Cork, had sued the meat processing plant Kepak Cork, with registered offices in Clonee, Co Meath, which runs the processing plant at Watergrasshill, Co Cork, along with his employer Las Security Ltd, which has offices at Damastown Industrial Park, Mulhuddart, Co Dublin.

He claimed that while taking readings in the compressor room of the Kepak plant on September 23rd, 2015, he was allegedly overcome by toxic ammonia fumes and further claimed there had been an alleged failure to provide him with a safe place of work.