Romesco with grilled summer squash
- Serves: 4
- Cooking Time: 6 mins
- Course: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Fusion
- 2 summer squash, also called yellow courgette, cut into thin strips lengthways
- For the gremolata:
- Half a bunch flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 lemon, zested
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 100ml olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- For the romesco:
- 5 red peppers, halved and roasted, with the skin peeled off
- 1 clove garlic
- 25g flaked almonds, toasted
- 1 slice of stale sourdough, toasted and torn into pieces
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Starting with the gremolata, combine the parsley, chilli, lemon zest and garlic in a mixing bowl. Add the oil and season. Set aside.
2. For the romesco, in a food processor whizz the peppers, garlic, almonds, sourdough, paprika, vinegar and seasoning.
3. Blitz until smooth, adding a little more olive oil if you think it is too thick.
4. Using a barbecue or a griddle pan, carefully place the slices of summer squash along the grill. Grill for two to three minutes, until char marks appear. Flip and cook the other side for the same length of time.
5. Place the cooked squash into a bowl and coat with some of the gremolata. Serve with the romesco on the side.