Flapjacks by Venessa Greenwood. Photograph: Harry Weir
- Makes: 9
- Cooking Time: 30 mins
- Course: Dessert
- Cuisine: Irish
- 250g medium porridge oats
- 150g plain flour
- 200g butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 tbsp golden syrup (45ml)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 180°C fan.
2. Place the porridge oats and flour in a large wide mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
3. Heat the butter and sugar in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Stir without allowing the mixture to boil. Once the sugar is fully dissolved and blended with the butter to give a smooth consistency, stir in the golden syrup and vanilla extract.
4. In two batches, pour the hot liquid over the dry mixture, stirring well between additions. The oats should be fully coated and moistened.
5. Transfer the mixture into a square baking tin (approx 20cm x 20cm) and bake on the middle shelf of the preheated oven for 20 minutes by which time the edges should be starting to turn golden. Continue to bake at this temperature for a further 5 minutes or until the centre top turns golden (keep an eye on the edges and if they start to darken too much, reduce the oven temperature straight away), Once golden, reduce the oven temperature to 160°C fan and bake for another 5 minutes .
6. Once baked, remove from the oven and set aside for 10 minutes, then use a serrated knife to mark out nine squares, before gently slicing through the markings and leave the flapjacks in the tin to cool completely until firm.