Chicken, butter bean and fennel bake
Chicken, butter bean and fennel bake. Photograph: Nick Bradshaw
- Serves: 4
- Cooking Time: 50 mins
- Course: Main Course
- Cuisine: Irish
- 8 chicken thighs, skin removed
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large red onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 bulbs fennel, trimmed and quartered
- 1 tin butterbeans, drained and rinsed
- 1 packet (125g) bacon lardons
- 8 cloves garlic, left in the skin
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 250ml cream (optional)
- Squeeze lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
1 Preheat your oven to 185 degrees, or equivalent.
2 Put the chicken on a roasting tray with the olive oil and cook for 15 minutes.
3 Add the onions, fennel, garlic, bacon and rosemary.
4 Turn everything together and place back in the oven for another 20 minutes, turning once or twice more.
5 Add the butter beans and the cream, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Put back in the oven for a further five minutes, until golden and bubbling.
6 Serve with new potatoes.