Baked meatball casserole with sweet paprika beans
Baked meatball casserole with sweet paprika beans. Photograph: Patrick Browne
- Serves: 4
- Cooking Time: 50 mins
- Course: Main Course
- Cuisine: Irish
- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 packet meatballs x 12 (360g)
- 1 packet smoked bacon lardons (125g)
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and thinly sliced.
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes (400g)
- 150mls concentrated chicken stock
- 1tsp paprika
- 1 large tin of baked beans (400g)
- 1tbsp maple syrup
- 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- A few dashes of Tabasco (smoked chipotle version if possible)
- Salt and black pepper
1. Set the oven to 185 degrees.
2. Heat the oil in a wide oven-proof pot. When it is gently smoking add the meatballs and the bacon, then colour everything for five minutes or so. Add the garlic, give it a gentle swish around the pan, then add the tomatoes, stock and paprika.
3. Bring to a simmer and cook for five minutes or so, then add the beans, maple syrup, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco smoked chipotle.
4. Season, bring to a simmer once again, then pop in the oven for 25 minutes until a light crust starts to form.
5. Serve with rice, mash or even toast.