A Christmas cauliflower
- Serves: 2
- Cooking Time: 90 mins
- Course: Main Course
- Cuisine: Irish
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 whole cauliflower, trimmed
- 300ml of vegetable stock
- 80g butter, diced
- 1 packet chestnut mushrooms, washed and trimmed
- Splash of Port or sweet sherry
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 handfuls washed baby spinach
- A handful of salted almonds
- 20 seedless black grapes, halved
1 Pre-heat an oven to 165 degrees Celsius, or equivalent.
2 Put the lemon zest and juice into a large bowl along with the paprika, cinnamon, olive oil, salt and pepper.
3 Rub this paste all over the cauliflower making sure you get it into every nook and cranny.
4 Place the cauliflower in a casserole dish and pour the stock all around.
5 Place in the oven for 1 hour 15 minutes before adding the butter, mushrooms, garlic and Port, then put back in the oven for a further 10 minutes.
6 Remove the cauliflower, then add the spinach to the tray, turn in the juices and allow to wilt a little for one or two minutes over a gentle heat.
7 Season with salt and pepper, then spoon the mixture onto the centre of a plate, place the cauliflower on top, then scatter over the almonds and grapes.