Teenager awaiting trial for causing life-threatening injuries to Stephen Termini broke bail conditions 14 times

Sixteen-year-old boy has broken curfew and condition to stay away from scene of attack multiple times

A teenager awaiting trial after US tourist Stephen Termini suffered “five life-threatening injuries” in Dublin repeatedly broke bail conditions barring him from the vicinity of the assault.

Three boys, aged 15, 16 and 17, who cannot be named because they are minors, are accused of violent disorder and causing serious harm to Mr Termini (57) from Buffalo, New York.

Dublin Children’s Court heard on Tuesday that the 16-year-old boy had disobeyed his terms 14 times since the end of April.

Garda Sgt Niall Godfrey recounted how there had been six curfew breaches. The boy had also been spotted on eight occasions hanging around on three streets, including once on Talbot Street, from which the court had barred him.


Defence counsel Doireann McDonagh said the latest breaches were accepted. At earlier stages in the proceedings, he had been remanded in custody.

Counsel said the teen had not picked up new charges, and revocation of bail could result in a lengthy period in detention on remand pending trial.

The court heard that he had an educational placement and was involved in a community programme for young people.

His barrister pleaded with the court to give him another chance to prove himself and to note the boy’s mental health had been affected.

“I promise, Judge, I will be better; I will not break bail conditions; I’m going to listen to every last thing you said,” the teen told the court.

In the presence of his parents and two other relatives, Judge Kelly told the boy that he was getting “a last chance” and bail would be rescinded if there was one more breach.

He and his co-defendants were ordered to appear again on dates in June to be served with books of evidence, which the State said were 85 per cent completed.

The 15-year-old was given a similar warning that he could be sitting his Junior Cert exams in a detention centre after it emerged he had broken his curfew six times in recent months.

He also had a stint in custody previously for noncompliance.

The third and eldest boy, who has never had issues with his bail terms, was allowed a relaxation, allowing him to return to one area in the north inner city.

Mr Termini, an artist and musician, was seriously injured during an incident on the corner of Store Street and Talbot Street in the north inner city on the night of July 19th, 2023.

Earlier, the Children’s Court judge had refused jurisdiction to hear the case and agreed with the Director of Public Prosecutions that it must be dealt with at a higher level with broader sentencing powers.