Meyler on song as Hull win through to FA Cup semi-final

Impressive display against former club Sunderland is capped by scoring his side’s secind goal

Hull City 3 Sunderland 0: There were times when David Meyler barely allowed himself to imagine playing professional football again, let alone appearing at Wembley.

After enduring two career-saving knee reconstructions Meyler deserves a moment or two in the sun, and no Sunderland supporter would begrudge their former midfielder an FA Cup winners' medal.

The Irishman, impressive throughout, scored the second goal – and, in homage to his brush with Alan Pardew last week, celebrated by "head-butting" the corner flag – on a balmy afternoon which left Steve Bruce looking forward to Hull's first semi-final appearance since 1930.

“I can’t see many fans who were around for the last semi in 1930 making it to Wembley again,” said Bruce, whose side have a winnable tie against Sheffield United.


Having seen Meyler come through two long-haul post-surgery rehabilitations Bruce could not disguise his delight for the player. “David had two horrible knee injuries at Sunderland. But his determination has made him a firm favourite here... and the way he conducted himself last week was exemplary.”

Sunderland's manager Gus Poyet looked less happy but hardly heartbroken. Coming a week after their Capital One Cup final defeat by Manchester City and at a time when they remain in relegation peril this was the right time for a disappointing Sunderland to bow out of knockout football for a while.

Wembley trip
With the visiting manager stating that Saturday's home Premier League game with Crystal Palace is "bigger" than last week's Wembley trip, it was no surprise that Poyet rested several key players.

“We were not good enough in everything today. But from now on collecting points is all that matters. Palace is the biggest game of the season.”

Although an early Maynor Figueroa cross-shot rebounded off the bar, Hull initially struggled to make clearcut chances.

Bruce's cause was hardly helped by the booking for a high, studs-up tackle on Lee Cattermole that meant the influential Tom Huddlestone needed to watch his step.

After surviving an early fright when Matty Fryatt headed Ahmed Elmohamdy’s cross wide, Poyet’s team were weakened by Cattermole’s booking, the midfield anchor seeing yellow after a clumsy challenge on a former team-mate.

Meyler may not have been bothered about Pardew's head-butt last week but he was rightly cross with Cattermole. It all served to place an electrical charge beneath Hull. Galvanised by righteous indignation they raised their game as Sunderland's creative block intensified.

Comfortable save
Poyet's team conceded a penalty following Sebastian Larsson's trip on Sone Aluko but Aluko's ensuing low kick was so weak Oscar Ustari made a decent but reasonably comfortable save. Ustari then did well to repel Liam Rosenior's 30-yard shot as the tie drifted towards half-time.

With the impasse extending past the hour and an unwanted replay beckoning, Sunderland liberated Fabio Borini and Adam Johnson from the bench but, within a minute, Hull were ahead.

Huddlestone's beautifully weighted free kick from beside the corner flag was met by the defensively outstanding Curtis Davies, whose excellent header easily evaded Ustari's grasp.

Then came Meyler's moment. The substitute George Boyd initiated a swift counter-attack and Meyler gleefully dispossessed Cattermole before cutting in from the right and beating Ustari with a left foot shot.

The early spring sunshine was starting to fade but sufficient time remained for Fryatt to intercept Cattermole's slapdash attempted back-pass before slipping the ball beyond the Argentinian keeper and ensuring the final whistle was greeted by a pitch invasion of the most joyous variety.
Guardian Service