European Leagues reject Fifa’s World Cup proposal

Dissenting organisation includes Premier League, EFL and SPFL among its members

Fifa and Arsène Wenger’s plans for a biennial World Cup suffered another blow as the European Leagues announced their opposition. Photograph: Boris Streubel/Getty Images

Fifa and Arsène Wenger’s plans for a biennial World Cup suffered another blow as the European Leagues announced their opposition. Photograph: Boris Streubel/Getty Images

 

Fifa’s proposals to reshape the international calendar have all been firmly rejected by European Leagues, which includes the Premier League, EFL and SPFL among its members.

A consultation on men’s national team football led by former Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger, now Fifa’s chief of global football development, is proposing a major international tournament every June, longer but fewer in-season international breaks and mandatory player rest periods.

European Leagues managing director Jacco Swart said the proposals created a “severe shift” in the balance between club and national team football in sporting terms and in economic value.

He rejected outright any change in frequency of the World Cup or continental finals like the Euros, and said rest periods should be determined at domestic level.

Swart also said there should be “as limited changes as possible” to the in-season international breaks.

Representatives of the leagues expressed their views directly to Wenger in a call on Thursday, while Fifa has also been consulting with national team coaches this week.

The renewed opposition from European Leagues comes in a week where the prospect of biennial World Cups becoming a reality appeared to wane.

It had been expected that member associations would vote on the plans at an extraordinary Fifa Congress before the end of the year. Fifa has instead called a global summit for December 20th where it hopes to present a “consensus” on the calendar, but likely without any vote.

Reaching a consensus in two months seems ambitious, with Fifa president Gianni Infantino describing himself as a referee in the middle of a “riot” in a press conference on Wednesday and calling on everyone involved to be “calm and rational”.

Infantino admitted “everything is open” in terms of what that consensus position might look like.

It is understood that a meeting between Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin, European Club Association chair Nasser Al Khelaifi and International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach was held on Friday.

Their organisations have all expressed concern over Fifa’s plans.

The Irish Times Logo
Commenting on The Irish Times has changed. To comment you must now be an Irish Times subscriber.
SUBSCRIBE
GO BACK
Error Image
The account details entered are not currently associated with an Irish Times subscription. Please subscribe to sign in to comment.
Comment Sign In

Forgot password?
The Irish Times Logo
Thank you
You should receive instructions for resetting your password. When you have reset your password, you can Sign In.
The Irish Times Logo
Please choose a screen name. This name will appear beside any comments you post. Your screen name should follow the standards set out in our community standards.
Screen Name Selection

Hello

Please choose a screen name. This name will appear beside any comments you post. Your screen name should follow the standards set out in our community standards.

The Irish Times Logo
Commenting on The Irish Times has changed. To comment you must now be an Irish Times subscriber.
SUBSCRIBE
Forgot Password
Please enter your email address so we can send you a link to reset your password.

Sign In

Your Comments
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Standards. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or by filling out this form. New comments are only accepted for 3 days from the date of publication.