Sean Maguire nets for Preston but goes off injured

Championship round-up: Wolves go top of the table after win over Aston Villa

Seán Maguire assisted and scored a goal for Preston in their Championship clash with Fulham but the day ended on a sour note for both as the Ireland striker limped off injured after 31 minutes while Fulham bagged a 96th minute equaliser to make it 2-2.

In-form Preston still extended their unbeaten run to nine games, but missed the chance to move into the automatic promotion positions ahead of Wolves’ match against Aston Villa. It was Fulham’s fourth draw in six home games, but they deserved a point for a spirited fight back from two goals down.

Jordan Hugill gave Preston the lead with his fourth league goal of the season after 18 minutes and Maguire deflected in Tom Barkhuizen's shot to make it 2-0 seven minutes later.

However, after taking a heavy knock the 23-year-old limped down the tunnel with strapping on his right leg.


Fulham's Oliver Norwood pulled one back from the penalty spot in the 74th minute before disaster struck right at the death thanks to a dreadful mistake from goalkeeper Chris Maxwell which allowed Denis Odoi to score.

Maxwell dropped a long hopeful punt from Fulham's Tim Ream 16 yards out and Odoi poked the loose ball into the empty net seconds away from the end of added time.

Wolves went top of the table after sweeping aside midlands rivals Aston Villa 2-0 in the evening kick-off at Molineux.

Second-half goals from Jota and Leo Bonatini earned Wolves the three points that moved them above Cardiff at the summit.

Nuno Espirito Santo’s men are two points clear after ending Villa’s four-match winning run.

Chris Basham scored the only goal as Sheffield United beat Ipswich 1-0 to move level on points with Cardiff.

At the bottom end of the table, Bolton – promoted with the Blades from League One last term – finally earned their first win since their return to the Championship by beating Sheffield Wednesday 2-1.

Phil Parkinson’s side had not found the net in any competition since August – a 3-2 home win in the Carabao Cup against Wednesday – and the Owls made obliging guests once more.

Sammy Ameobi put Bolton ahead in the 10th minute before Sam Hutchinson put through his own net just after the hour mark.

Kieran Lee pulled one back for Wednesday with 22 minutes left but Bolton held on for their first win in 12 league games.

Sunderland's miserable home form continued as they were held 1-1 by QPR.

The hosts – without a win at the Stadium of Light since December 2016 – needed a second-half equaliser from Irish winder Aiden McGeady to earn a point after Idrissa Sylla’s 37th-minute opener.

A stoppage-time equaliser from Nelson Oliveira denied 10-man Hull a win at Norwich.

Nouha Dicko put the Tigers ahead before Irish midfielder David Meyler was sent off for two bookable offences, and Norwich eventually made them pay six minutes into added time.

An explosive start at Barnsley soon fizzled out as the Tykes drew 2-2 with Middlesbrough.

Ashley Fletcher's own goal was cancelled out by Martin Braithwaite but Cameron McGeehan headed in his first goal for Barnsley to restore their lead after just nine minutes.

The game’s other goal came from Britt Assombalonga on the hour mark.

Elsewhere, Leeds and Millwall both had late penalties saved as they suffered 1-0 defeats to Reading and Brentford respectively.