Manuel Lanzini banned for two games for diving

The 24-year-old Argentinian was adjudged to have dived to win a penalty against Stoke

West Ham midfielder Manuel Lanzini has been banned for two games for successful deception of a match official following the award of a penalty in Saturday’s Premier League game at Stoke. Photo: Mike Egerton/PA Wire

West Ham midfielder Manuel Lanzini has been banned for two games for successful deception of a match official following the award of a penalty in Saturday’s Premier League game at Stoke. Photo: Mike Egerton/PA Wire

 

West Ham’s Manuel Lanzini has been given a two-game ban after being found guilty of diving to win a penalty against Stoke on Saturday, the Football Association has announced.

The 24-year-old Argentinian went down when challenged by Erik Pieters and West Ham captain Mark Noble converted from the spot to give the visitors a 1-0 lead.

Referee Graham Scott’s decision to award the penalty infuriated Stoke manager Mark Hughes, who is now under pressure following his side’s eventual 3-0 defeat.

Lanzini was charged with the “successful deception of a match official” on Monday and was given until 6pm this evening to respond.

He denied the charge but an independent regulatory commission upheld it at a hearing on Tuesday and the ban comes into immediate effect, ruling him out of the Carabao Cup quarter-final against Arsenal and the Premier League clash against Newcastle on Saturday.

Speaking to reporters on Monday, West Ham manager David Moyes said he was “a bit surprised” that Lanzini had been charged.

“The referee was 10 yards from the ball with nothing blocking his vision,” he said.

“It is clear to see the defender makes an attempt to go for the ball and doesn’t get it. From my point of view, they are going against the referee, whoever the panel were.”

New this season, a simulation charge only comes when there is clear evidence a player has fooled an official into winning a penalty or getting an opponent sent off, either via a straight red card or second yellow.

Footage of the incident is viewed independently by one ex-manager, one former player and an ex-match official, and they must unanimously agree for a charge to follow.

If the player contests the charge, as Lanzini did, a separate panel hears the case.

Lanzini becomes only the second Premier League player to be charged for the simulation after Everton striker Oumar Niasse was the first to be penalised last month.

The Irish Times Logo
Commenting on The Irish Times has changed. To comment you must now be an Irish Times subscriber.
SUBSCRIBE
GO BACK
Error Image
The account details entered are not currently associated with an Irish Times subscription. Please subscribe to sign in to comment.
Comment Sign In

Forgot password?
The Irish Times Logo
Thank you
You should receive instructions for resetting your password. When you have reset your password, you can Sign In.
The Irish Times Logo
Please choose a screen name. This name will appear beside any comments you post. Your screen name should follow the standards set out in our community standards.
Screen Name Selection

Hello

Please choose a screen name. This name will appear beside any comments you post. Your screen name should follow the standards set out in our community standards.

The Irish Times Logo
Commenting on The Irish Times has changed. To comment you must now be an Irish Times subscriber.
SUBSCRIBE
Forgot Password
Please enter your email address so we can send you a link to reset your password.

Sign In

Your Comments
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Standards. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or by filling out this form. New comments are only accepted for 3 days from the date of publication.