Lazio deny Felipe Anderson has agreed to join Manchester United
Reports of Brazilian midfielder’s agreed €60m summer move are false say club
Lazio’s Felipe Anderson during the Europa League round of 32 football match against Galatasaray. Photograph: Getty Images
Lazio have said reports the Serie A club will sell Felipe Anderson to Manchester United in the summer are “devoid of foundation” despite the club president, Claudio Lotito, being quoted in Italian media as saying a €60m transfer has already been agreed.
Lotito is quoted in a report from La Citt? di Salerno as saying: “I bought Felipe Anderson for €8m and have sold him for €60m - next year he will go to Manchester United.”
However Lazio deny the president made that statement despite the journalist who wrote the piece, Michele Spiezia, confirming that Lotito “unequivocally” said the 22-year-old Brazilian attacking midfielder will depart Rome in the summer.
United reportedly attempted to sign Anderson in January having also failed with a smaller bid in the summer. He has scored six times so far this season for Lazio, who are eighth in Serie A. They drew 0-0 at struggling Frosinone on Sunday.