Confirmed: Conor McGregor will not fight at UFC 200

UFC president Dana White confirmed that Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones will headline

Conor McGregor appeared to have announced his retirement from UFC, with sport boss Dana White later saying the Irishman had been pulled from his Las Vegas showdown with Nate Diaz. Photo: Brian Lawless/PA Wire.

Conor McGregor appeared to have announced his retirement from UFC, with sport boss Dana White later saying the Irishman had been pulled from his Las Vegas showdown with Nate Diaz. Photo: Brian Lawless/PA Wire.

 

Conor McGregor will not be fighting at UFC 200 after UFC president Dana White announced on Wednesday that Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones will headline the July showdown in Las Vegas.

Cormier will fight Jones in a light heavyweight title unification bout – but McGregor has not been added to the bill.

McGregor’s welterweight rematch with Nate Diaz was originally scheduled to be the main act at the July 9th event, but the Irishman was pulled from the card last week after he refused to attend a press conference as part of his promotional duties.

McGregor threatened to retire from the sport in protest, which led to much speculation about whether he would follow through on his promise and actually quit, but then he relented and said he was still willing to fight at UFC 200 – providing he could reduce the amount of promotional work he was expected to do.

On Monday he said he was back on the card when he tweeted “Happy to announce that I am BACK on UFC 200! Shout out to @danawhite and @lorenzofertitta on getting this one done for the fans. #Respect”.

But White was puzzled by that claim, and told TMZ Sports on Monday that McGregor “is not fighting on 200”. On Wednesday White confirmed that to Good Morning America.

“Listen, he’ll fight on 201, 202, 203, whatever, I don’t know when, but we’ll get it figured out,” White said on Monday.

Jones, regarded as the best pound-for-pound fighter in UFC, previously beat Cormier in a unanimous decision at UFC 185 before losing his title after being involved in a hit-and-run incident. Cormier won the vacant belt against Anthony Johnson and defended it against Alexander Gustafsson.

On July 9th, Jose Aldo will fight for the first time since his 13-second knockout defeat to McGregor at UFC 194 last December. He takes on Frankie Edgar.

White has now signalled that McGregor’s next fight needs to be a 145lb title defense against either Aldo or Edgar. White told ESPN.com that if McGregor refuses and is intent on fighting Diaz, he will have to forfeit the featherweight championship.

The Irish Times Logo
Commenting on The Irish Times has changed. To comment you must now be an Irish Times subscriber.
SUBSCRIBE
GO BACK
Error Image
The account details entered are not currently associated with an Irish Times subscription. Please subscribe to sign in to comment.
Comment Sign In

Forgot password?
The Irish Times Logo
Thank you
You should receive instructions for resetting your password. When you have reset your password, you can Sign In.
The Irish Times Logo
Please choose a screen name. This name will appear beside any comments you post. Your screen name should follow the standards set out in our community standards.
Screen Name Selection

Hello

Please choose a screen name. This name will appear beside any comments you post. Your screen name should follow the standards set out in our community standards.

The Irish Times Logo
Commenting on The Irish Times has changed. To comment you must now be an Irish Times subscriber.
SUBSCRIBE
Forgot Password
Please enter your email address so we can send you a link to reset your password.

Sign In

Your Comments
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Standards. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or by filling out this form. New comments are only accepted for 3 days from the date of publication.