Longford - 3-12 London - 2-7


Having dominated the first half against Longford at Ruislip yesterday London failed to maintain the momentum in the second period with the visitors taking control in the closing stages. Longford started the game in sluggish form with their forwards in particular failing to find the range despite being provided with an excellent service by midfielders Aidan Keogh and David Hannify. Indeed it was all London in the first half and with a lead of 2-3 to 0-4 at the interval, a rare league win at last looked likely.

But the Longford mentors made a master move in introducing substitute Dessie Barry at half-time. No sooner had the former Leinster Railway Cup player made his appearance than the cohesion and accuracy previously missing from the attack began to show.

It was from his accurate pass that corner forward Ciaran Cox was upended in front of goal six minutes after the restart. From the resultant penalty, taken by goalkeeper Gavin Tonra, Longford reduced the deficit to two points and once Niall Sheridan had levelled the scores with a long-range point four minutes later the visitors were on their way to their third league success.

However, team manager Michael McCormack cannot feel too happy at the first-half performance when Longford's play lacked pattern and ideas.

Without a win since late last year London at last are beginning to show promise but as yet lack the physical fitness of opposing teams. Yesterday Derek Morgan, Steve Kane and Dermot Gordon were particularly effective in defence while Paul Coggins and Andy Carr promised much in attack.

Longford: G Tonra (1-0 from penalty); G Delaney, G Brady, C Conefrey; C Keogh, S McNamara, C Hannify; A Keogh, D Hannify; M Mulleady, D Blessington (0-1), T Farrell (0-1); P Davis (1-2), N Sheridan (1-2). Subs: D Barry (0-4) for D Blessington, W Skelly (0-1) for G Delaney, C Macken (0-1) for M Mulleady.

London: J Collins; S Kane, D Gordon, R Harper; D Morgan, B McDonagh, P Tinneally; S Trench, S McLoughlin; A Carr (0-1), S McGrellis (0-1), A Creamer (0-2); T Coggins (0-1), F O'Brien, B Bolger (1-0). Subs: B Cox (0-2) for McGrellis, P Connolly (0-1) for O'Brien, M Hesman for McLoughlin.

Referee: S McCormack (Meath).