Sigerson Cup: Corofin trio stand out in GMIT win over DIT

The Dublin side had their Sigerson dream ended after an excellent O’Byrne Cup run

GMIT 0-14 DIT 1-9

GMIT manager Sean O'Dea thinks his side face a tough assignment against either UCD or Athlone IT in the Sigerson Cup second round after they sealed a late win against DIT at Tuam Stadium.

Ronan Steede and Michael Farragher kicked injury time points to give the Galway students the win, and with Martin Farrgaher also in good form, O'Dea was thrilled with his Corofin trio.

“Class comes out. When the game was on a knife edge Ronan Steede put over a superb score and Michael Farragher finished it off. The have the ability to see the pass which a lot of players don’t have,” said O’Dea.


“Whoever we play it’s away from home the next day so it’s going to be tough. Athlone IT will give it socks against a very good UCD team, so we’ll see who comes out of that one.”

DIT manager John Fox was rightly irked by the first half black card shown to his in form forward Conor Madden. Madden had earlier goaled to draw DIT level in the 17th minute, but was sent to the line by Marty Duffy for a third man tackle on Paddy Holloway.

“The black card in the first half I thought was extremely harsh. In fact it should have gone the other way. Their man was already on a yellow card and should have been red carded.

“The referee got that horribly wrong. But we take the knocks, we take the good and the bad. We never got out of the starting blocks at all. We are disappointed in our display,” said Fox.

Three second half points from Ciaran Reddin - who was black carded in injury time - looked to have given DIT the edge as full time approached, but Michael Farragher landed a great score in the 62nd minute, and Steede kicked a long range free to seal the win.

GMIT: C Nolan; E Egan, B O'Farrell, D Moran; S O'Malley, P Holloway (0-1), S Burke; M O'Brien, R Steede (0-2, one free); N Darby (0-3, one free), Ml Farragher (0-3), S McDonnell; Ma Farragher (0-1), A Glennon (0-1), A Meenaghan (0-3, two frees).

Subs: K Nally for McDonnell (29 mins), M Shaughnessy for Meenaghan (43 mins), C Donoghue for Burke (56 mins), J Madden for Moran (59 mins BC).

DIT: O Ferris; O Manning, B Power, S Clayton; D O'Reilly, C Reddin (0-3), S Dowling; S O'Connor, C Compton (0-1); B McMahon (0-1, one free), C Grimes (0-1, one free), E Flanagan; C Madden (1-2), T O'Connor, P Brogan.

Subs: R Gaughan (0-1) for Madden (29 mins BC), A Waters for Grimes (42 mins), E Fletcher for O’Reilly (46 mins), G O’Reilly for Compton (52 mins).

Referee: Marty Duffy (Sligo).