Seán Quigley’s two goals help Fermanagh to first win at Longford’s expense

Longford played second half with 14 men after Mickey Quinn’s red card

Longford 1-10 Fermanagh 3-11

Fermanagh picked up their first win of the Division Three campaign at Pearse Park and in doing so leave Longford in a battle for survival.

Two second-half goals from Seán Quigley laid the foundations for this win but Longford had to play the whole second half without captain Mickey Quinn after he received a harsh red card just before half-time after some play acting from Ciarán Corrigan.

Aided by a strong wind in the first half, Longford used the elements to their advantage. Fermanagh opened the scoring before Longford took control and Darren Gallagher hit over a fantastic point in the 14th minute before Mark Hughes fired over two points. Ryan Lyons got a much-needed point for Fermanagh in the 33rd minute but Longford ended the half well.


Jayson Matthews kicked over his first point of the game before Gallagher landed over another excellent point to put four between the sides before Longford were dealt a blow in stoppage-time when Quinn was shown a straight red. Matthews kicked over a fine point as Longford held a five point lead at the break – 0-08 to 0-03.

Longford were made rue missed goal chances at the beginning of the second half. Keelin McGann brought a fine save out of Fermanagh goalkeeper Cian Newman before Andrew Farrell hit his effort wide. Down the other end Quigley showed them how it was down when he scored two goals in quick succession.

Points from brothers Conall and Ryan Jones (two) extended the Erne County's lead to six in the 64th minute. A pointed free from Gallagher in the 66th was Longford's first score of the second half. The influential midfielder set substitute Dylan Farrell up for a goal in the 69th minute to cut the deficit to three points but try as they might Longford couldn't eat further into the lead.

Fermanagh sealed their win with a third goal deep in stoppage time from substitute Garvin Jones after Josh Largo Ellis did well to pick up a loose ball.

LONGFORD: P Collum; P Fox, A Farrell, B O'Farrell; J Moran, M Quinn, I O'Sullivan; R Moffett, D Gallagher (0-4,one free); K McGann, D Reynolds (0-1), J Hagan; M Hughes (0-2), J Matthews (0-2), O Kenny (0-1).

Subs: D Doherty for McGann (48 mins), E McCormack for Moran (49), J Duggan for Kenny (52), D Farrell (1-0) for Matthews and A McGuire for Hughes (both 63).

FERMANAGH: C Newman; G Cavanagh, A Breen, L Flanagan; R Lyons (0-1), J McMahon, D McCusker; R Jones (0-4), B Horan; C Corrigan, D McGurn (0-1), J Largo Ellis; G McKenna, C Jones (0-1), S Quigley (2-3, two frees).

Subs: G Jones (1-1) for Flanagan (half-time), D Leonard for McKenna (58 mins), S McGullion for Corrigan (70+3), J Smith for Quigley (70+7).

Referee: B Judge (Sligo).