Leinster MFC round-up: Wicklow hugely impressive against Wexford

Dublin comfortable winners over Laois in Parnell Park

Alex Kavanagh produced a masterly display to inspire Wicklow to a hugely impressive 2-13 to 0-5 victory over a disappointing Wexford side in this Leinster minor football championship second round tie at St Patrick's Park, Enniscorthy.

Kavanagh had the home side under pressure from the start kicking two excellent long-range points inside the opening three minutes giving his side a lead they were never subsequently to lose. Kavanagh went on to finish the game with a personal tally of 0-5, 0-1 free.

Wexford having lost their opening game to Carlow, needed a victory to remain in the championship, but they were rocked when Paidi Kavanagh got on the end of excellent approach play to send a super left-footed shot to the net, a score that helped them to an eventual 1-8 to 0-3 interval lead.

Wicklow continued to storm all over the opposition in the second half they secured the victory with a superb Sean Byrne goal eight minutes from the end. They now meet Carlow in their final round game while for Wexford their championship is over.


Dublin landed a second consecutive victory with a comfortable 2-15 to 0-4 victory over Laois in Parnell Park having led by 0-10 to 0-2 at the interval.

Two second-half goals from Shane Mullarkey penalties boosted the side's confidence as Laois were unable to cut the deficit only managing two second-half points.

Offaly secured the points in a dramatic finish before they eventually saw off Meath on a 3-6 to 2-8, winning by the minimum in the end.

As the game entered the closing minutes, Offaly were leading 2-6 to 1-8, but a 60th-minute goal from Michael O’Sullivan gave Meath an astonishing two points advantage, giving the Páirc Tailteann crowd something to cheer about.

However, three minutes deep into injury time, Offaly in one final attack saw Conor Fox force the ball over the line in a goalmouth scramble, handing the visitors a dramatic late victory.

A late flurry of scores saw Kildare overcome Longford on a 2-12 to 1-8 final scoreline having trailed 1-4 to 0-4 at the interval, the Longford goal courtesy of Michael Moore.

Little separated the sides through the second half but it was points from Tom Kelly and Kilian O'Reilly that commenced the Kildare recovery, while Bert Loakman goal from a penalty saw Kildare lead 1-9 to 1-7 entering the closing ten minutes, as Matt Cleary points kept Longford very much in touch.

However gave the Newbridge crowd some comfort when a second Loakman goal from a penalty ensured they maintained their winning start to the campaign.