Dillon's tries the difference


Two second half tries from right wing Marcus Dillon were good enough to see Lansdowne through to the second round of the Smithwicks Old Belvedere Floodlit Cup at Anglesea Road last night.

The key to Lansdowne's success was the way their defence shut down any avenues to their line in the second half. They were so effective that Wesley failed to score at all in that period.

One could not have believed that after the first quarter when tries from centre Andrew Leeson and hooker Matt King put Wesley into a 12-3 lead. Lansdowne got their first try in the 39th minute when number eight John O'Beirne went over from the base of a scrum.

The second half was a much less free-scoring affair, with Lansdowne territorially on top. It looked doubtful that they would break down Wesley until Dillon's tries in the 61st and 78th minutes.

Scorers: Lansdowne - M Dillon 2 tries; J O'Beirne try; R Kearns 2 penalties, 2 conversions. Old Wesley - A Leeson, M King try each; M McEvoy penalty, conversion. LANSDOWNE: R Kearns; M Dillon, A Langan, N Gunne, W Clancy; J Quinn, I Murphy; O Ennis, P Grimes, J Dornan, W Aherne, G Quinn, J Horgan, P Mandel, J O'Beirne. Replacements: D O'Mahoney for Gunne (21 mins), R Geraghty for O'Beirne (half- time). Old Wesley: B Murphy; D Keeshan, R McNaughton, A Leeson, T McDonald; M McEvoy, J Kennefick; R Jackson, M King, E Moore, C Brownell, J O'Donnell, G Douglas, R Jones, D Bursey. Replacements: R Mammane for Moore (50 mins), C Pim for Douglas (68 mins). Referee: D Tyndall (ARLB).

Ian Gough has decided not to take legal action against his Wales team-mate Mark Jones of Ebbw Vale for the punch that left the Pontypridd lock requiring eye surgery.

Jones was sent off by the referee Derek Bevan after the incident during a Welsh Premier Division match 11 days ago and banned for three matches by the Welsh Rugby Union.

Gough's father Malcolm said: "Ian is aware that Mark Jones is married with young children, and for that reason is loath to take criminal proceedings which would have meant a Crown Court appearance for Mark Jones, with a very real threat of imprisonment."

However, Gough's family are angry about the shortness of the suspension which means Jones will be available for Test matches next month against South Africa and Argentina.

"When you compare this to the Newport prop Rod Snow's four-match ban for making two late tackles, it becomes mind-boggling," said Gough senior.

Jones was back in training with Wales yesterday, knowing that as far as the national coach Graham Henry is concerned, he is walking a disciplinary tight-rope. Henry termed his punch on Gough "deplorable", and promised not to consider him for further representative honours if the player is sent off again.