Youth charged with Drogheda stabbing

 

A 17 year old youth charged in relation to a serious stabbing incident in Drogheda in the early hours of Saturday morning was remanded in custody at a special court sitting today.

Dundalk district court heard his mother had asked for a doctor to take a blood sample from him because she did not believe he had just alcohol in his system when the incident took place.

He was arrested and questioned about stabbing 7 people aged between 16 and 23. 3 of them are still in hospital.

The youth faces charges of assault causing harm to Patrick Nutley, Mark Nutley and Steven Floody on West Street/Peter Street, Drogheda on the 10th April.

He is also charged with producing a two blade folding knife during the course of committing a crime.

Garda Raymond Brady, Drogheda, who arrested the accused, told Judge Flann Brennan that further more serious charges may be brought.

Gardai objected to him being granted bail and said it was alleged the youth was armed with a 4 to 5 inch blade at the time and had attempted to flee the scene after the stabbing.

When defence solicitor James MacGuil said the incident was being perceived as a frenzied and random attack, garda Brady replied that the investigation was ongoing.

Mr MacGuil said that if granted bail the youth would reside away from Drogheda and a given address, sign on daily at a garda station and surrender his passport. It was also intended to bring him for a medical assessment tomorrow.

His mother had asked for a doctor to be called to Drogheda garda station to take a blood test to see if he had been drugged, Mr MacGuil said.

She told the Judge “I asked for a blood sample, I didn’t believe there was just alcohol in his system.”

Judge Brennan said that after taking everything into consideration he was not satisfied he should release the youth. He remanded him in custody to St Patrick’s Institution and adjourned the case to the Childrens Court in Dublin this Thursday the 15th.