Swedish prosecutor files request for Assange’s arrest over rape allegation
Ecuadorian government confirms officials are searching through belongings at embassy
Julian Assange is serving a 50-week sentence in UK for skipping bail. Photograph: Victoria Jones/PA Wire
The Swedish prosecutor heading an investigation into a rape allegation against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange filed a request with a local court on Monday for him to be detained in absentia.
If granted, the court order would be the first step in a process to have Mr Assange extradited from Britain, where he is serving a 50-week sentence for skipping bail.
Sweden reopened the rape investigation last week. It was begun in 2010 but dropped in 2017 after Mr Assange took refuge in the Ecuadorian embassy in London.
Assange, who denies the accusation, was arrested in London last month after spending seven years inside the embassy.
“I request the district court to detain Mr Assange in his absence, on probable cause suspected for rape,” deputy chief Pprosecutor Eva-Marie Persson said in a statement on Monday.
She said she would issue a European arrest warrant for Assange to be surrendered to Sweden if the court decided to detain him.
Sweden’s decision to reopen the rape investigation casts doubt on where Assange may eventually end up, with US authorities already seeking his extradition over conspiracy charges relating to one of the biggest ever leaks of classified information.
A lawyer representing Assange in Sweden said he would tell the district court it could not investigate the prosecutor’s request until he had conferred with his client and learned whether or not he wished to oppose a detention order.
“Since he is in prison in England, it has so far not been possible even to speak to him by telephone,” Per Samuelson told Reuters.
Assange, an Australian national, took refuge in the embassy after fighting unsuccessfully through the British courts to avoid extradition to Sweden.
The British courts will have to rule on the Swedish and US extradition requests, with interior minister Sajid Javid having the final say on which one takes precedence.
“The outcome of this process is impossible to predict,” Mr Persson said. Citing information from UK authorities, she said Assange would serve 25 weeks of his UK sentence before he could be released.
A British judge has given the US government a deadline of June 12th to outline its case against Assange.
Meanwhile, the Ecuadorian government confirmed that officials are searching through Assange’s belongings left at its embassy in London following a request from the United States.
Protesters gathered outside the embassy in Knightsbridge yesterday morning after WikiLeaks claimed its founder’s possessions would be handed to US prosecutors who are seeking his extradition.
In a statement published online, the Ecuadorian government said the search was to identify and confiscate belongings of Assange that could offer clues to possible criminal activity. The search is being carried out under the authorisation of a judge and following a request for judicial assistance from the US and other nations, the statement said.
If officials do decide to confiscate any of Assange’s belongings they will be sent to Ecuador for analysis and then possibly passed on to those seeking judicial assistance. Wikileaks claimed material such as legal papers, medical records and electronic equipment will be handed to US prosecutors. – Reuters and PA