Two of the famous 5ive to appear in court after fight


Two members of English boyband 5ive, in Dublin to play concerts at The Point tonight and tomorrow night, were arrested and charged yesterday after a fight in a city centre bar.

The promoter expects the concerts to go ahead. Mr Justin Green, of MCD Promotions, said last night: "The concerts have not been affected by the alleged incident and will go ahead as planned."

Before the lights go up, however, the two band members arrested yesterday are due to appear in Dublin District Court today. Mr Neil Reading, a publicist for the group, said last night that band members Ritchie Neville and J. Brown had been arrested and would appear in court today.

"Brown will be charged with assault and public disorder. Neville will be charged with public disorder and disturbance of the peace," he said.

The two were taken to Pearse Street Garda station after being arrested outside the Palace Bar on Fleet Street in the Temple Bar area yesterday evening.

Earlier this year, 5ive got into a war of words with Westlife, accusing the Dublin band of being boring. "Westlife go on stage and do what they're told - not like us," said 5ive member J. "We've got a bit of character and we have a lot more fun."

The fight in the bar which led to the arrests happened at about 4.30 p.m. A young Irishman was taken to hospital with minor facial injuries.

A witness, Ms Olivia O'Riordan, said a man at the bar asked the band members if they were members of Westlife.

"We're not Westlife," they told him.

The man replied that "Westlife are the good ones, they are Irish", according to Ms O'Riordan.

She said that one of the 5ive members then hit the man at the bar, and tried to hit him again. Tables were knocked over. A number of people went out on to the street, where the band members continued to be abusive.

Two band members were arrested at the scene and taken into custody. They were released from Pearse Street station at 6.40 p.m. and driven away in a black car. They posed briefly for photographers at the Garda station but declined to comment.