Two held over fatal Arklow stabbing


GARDAÍ INVESTIGATING the killing of Arklow shopkeeper John Deasy on Wednesday night have arrested two 19-year-old men in connection with the incident.

The arrests followed intensive house-to-house inquiries and a search for the weapon used in killing.

The men, understood to be local, were being interviewed separately, at Arklow and Wicklow Garda stations last night. They were being detained under section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act, under which they may be held for up to 24 hours.

The removal of Mr Deasy’s body will take place to St Mary and Peter’s Church in Arklow this evening, arriving at 5.30pm. Mr Deasy (45), a father of two, will be buried after Requiem Mass at noon on Monday, in St Gabriel’s Cemetery, Arklow.

The Deasy family said they were “absolutely devastated” by the loss of Mr Deasy who was stabbed outside his shop on Coolgreaney Road.

The family said in a statement they were “trying to come to terms with the fact that he has been taken from us in such terrible circumstances”. They also appealed for anyone who may have information regarding the killing to contact gardaí.

“John was an inspiration to us all. He filled people’s lives with love and laughter and he was a dedicated family man totally devoted to his two daughters, who were always at the centre of his life.

“John’s other great passion was rugby. He was a dedicated follower of Leinster and Ireland and went to as many games as he could, whether at home or abroad. He also loved golf and played rain or shine.”

The family said Mr Deasy had been in business for more than 20 years in Arklow.

They had been touched hugely “by the vast number of local people who have sent us messages of support over the past few days. These messages have been a source of great comfort to us at this very difficult time.”

The statement continued: “We have every faith in the gardaí involved in this investigation and we would ask anyone who was in the St Peter’s Place area of Coolgreaney Road last Wednesday evening [November 25th] to talk to the gardaí. They may have information that they don’t realise is important.”

The statement concluded with an appeal to the media to “give us the time and space we need to cope with this very difficult time for our family”.

Mr Deasy was stabbed to death when he confronted a man who demanded money from an assistant at Brauders shop shortly after 8pm on Wednesday.