Two women released after questioning over Reece Cullen death
Teenager was stabbed to death in Tallaght in January
Gardaí at the scene of the fatal stabbing of Reece Cullen (17) in Kilclare Cresent, Tallaght in January. Photograph: Collins
Two women arrested in connection with the stabbing of teenager Reece Cullen have been released without charge.
The women, both aged in their thirties, were released from custody on Sunday afternoon having been arrested just after 7am on Friday.
The 16-year-old sustained fatal stab wounds in an attack at Kilclare Crescent in Jobstown on January 5th. He was later rushed to Tallaght Hospital but was pronounced dead shortly afterwards.
“They were released without charge this afternoon and a file will be prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions,” a Garda spokesman said.
Mr Cullen’s mother had only died months before her son, in September 2016 and the teenager is said to have gone through a difficult period following her death.
He was enrolled in an alternative education programme for children who had left the mainstream school system and was also a member of Jobstown Boxing Club.
It is understood that threats had been made to Mr Cullen’s life in the months leading up to the attack.
Speaking at his funeral at the Church of St Martin de Porres in Old Bawn, Tallaght last January, Fr Micheal Hurley said Mr Cullen was “a young man full of promise and hopes - a young man who was making great efforts to realise his own potential”.
Mr Cullen is survived by his father Ken O’Flanagan and his brothers Nathan and Dylan.