Six people die this weekend after separate road crashes

The N2 remains closed in Co Meath after pedestrian was hit by a car

Six people have died this weekend following separate road crashes across Ireland.

A male pedestrian has died after being hit by a car on the N2 between Ashbourne and Slane in Co Meath in the early hours of Sunday.

Gardaí at Navan are investigating the fatal collision, which happened at Tuiterath in Balrath about 1.30am.

The pedestrian was pronounced dead at the scene and his body was been removed to Navan Mortuary. A post mortem is to be arranged.


The N2 is currently closed between Curtis’ Cross and Rathdrinagh Cross to facilitate Garda forensic collision investigators. Diversions are in place.

The victim of the road crash on Saturday night in Co Mayo has been named locally as Joseph Mullany of Creegs in Balla.

Mr Mullany, aged in his early 30s, was the driver and sole occupant of the car which hit a fence on the N5 in the townland of Knockanour, near Castlebar.

He was taken by ambulance to Mayo General Hospital where he later died.

Co Tyrone deaths

There have been three road deaths in Co Tyrone this weekend.

A man in his 40s died after a crash between a lorry and a van on Melmount Road, Victoria Bridge area of Strabane on Saturday about 10pm.

A man has been arrested and is helping police with their enquiries.

Separately, police have named a woman who died after being struck by a vehicle on the Gortagammon Road, Tullyhogue, outside Cookstown, Co Tyrone, just before 1 am on Saturday, as Jayne Burnside.

Pedestrian Jayne Burnside (23), from Cookstown, was hit by a car Gortagammon Road in Tullyhogue in Co Tyrone just before 1am on Saturday. Police are appealing for any witnesses.

Seperately, a woman in her 50s died following a one vehicle collision on the Moneymore Road in Cookstown, Co Tyrone on Sunday about 2.30am.

Galway footballer

Meanwhile, a young man who was involved in a serious crash in Glenamaddy, Co Galway two weeks ago has died this weekend.

Keith Davis (21), from the Glenamaddy area, suffered fatal head injuries when his car left the road and hit a ditch at Ballyhard on the Creggs side of Glenamaddy on March 29th.

He was a talented footballer and was a member of a well-known sporting family in Glenamaddy.

Mr Davis was initially taken to Galway University Hospital before being transferred to Beaumont Hospital in Dublin where he passed away.