Man released without charge after Ballymun double murder arrest

Clinton Shannon , Antoinette Corbally died after shooting on Balbutcher Drive in August

Flowers left near the scene of the double fatal shooting at Balbutcher Drive, Ballymun pictured on Thursday morning. Photograph: Colin Keegan, Collins Dublin

Flowers left near the scene of the double fatal shooting at Balbutcher Drive, Ballymun pictured on Thursday morning. Photograph: Colin Keegan, Collins Dublin

 

Gardaí have released a man in 30s who was arrested earlier on Friday in connection with the murder of two people in Ballymun last month.

The man was released without charge and a file will now be prepared for the information of the Director of Public Prosecutions.

The suspect in the shooting was arrested by gardaí on Monday the 28th of August, but that information was only released on Friday.

Last month Clinton Shannon (30) and Antoinette Corbally (48) were shot and killed in Ballymun, on Balbutcher Drive on August 16th.

Funerals were held for both of the victims on Thursday.

Antoinette Corbally was the sister of the intended target of the shooting, and Clinton Shannon was a locksmith who lived in Dublin.

The intended target of the shooting was Derek “Bottler” Devoy, brother of Ms Corbally.

Derek Devoy (37) was at the scene of the shooting, but managed to escape on foot after the gunman opened fire.

Mr Devoy has a history of involvement in criminal activity, and has spent close to a decade in prison for criminal offences.

Two other innocent bystanders at the scene were also injured in the shooting last month.

Antoinette Corbally was laid to rest yesterday, after a small service in St Joseph’s Church, in Ballymun. There was a large Garda presence at the funeral in North Dublin.

Clinton Shannon, a locksmith by trade, was buried on Thursday, and the funeral was held in Laytown, Co Meath.

Mr Shannon never had any involvement in criminal activity, according to gardaí.

At the service Fr Denis McNelis said the hope of Mr Shannon’s family is that people would have “the courage to cease fire” in the feud resulting in his death. “Our prayer today is that people will have the courage to do just that” the priest said.