The new Liffey crossing will be named the Rosie Hackett Bridge, following a vote by Dublin City Council last night.
It is the first time that any bridge over the river has been named after a woman — in this case a lesser-known trade unionist who was involved in the 1913 Lockout.
Hackett received 192 points in a weighted ballot by councillors. In second place was Dublin camogie player Kay Mills, who got 176 points. Runners-up were Alone founder Willie Bermingham (167), Dracula creator Bram Stoker (92) and Legion of Mary founder Frank Duff (80).
A proposal to "open the list" – so other names such as the Abbey Theatre could be considered – was heavily defeated.
A total of 85 names were proposed for the bridge, which will carry the Luas Cross City line between Marlborough Street and Hawkins Street, and these were whittled down to five.
The council's Commemorative Naming Committee — chaired by its Labour leader, Dermot Lacey — was criticised for excluding the Abbey even after it had received more than 2,500 online votes.
The bridge, which is costing an estimated €13 million, is due to open in February, long in advance of the Luas Cross City line, which is not due to open until 2017.
Members earlier observed a minute's silence as a mark of respect for Seamus Heaney and also remembered seven people killed in 1913 when tenements in Church Street collapsed.