Man who sexually abused foster daughter is jailed for five years

Abuse began when girl was 13 but court told she was afraid to say anything in case she got sent away

A man who sexually abused his foster daughter multiple times a week until she left the family home has been jailed for five years.

The man (77), who cannot be named for legal reasons, began abusing her when she was aged 13 until she left the family home when she was 18 years old. He also abused her on two further occasions.

Dublin Circuit Criminal Court heard that the offending encompassed "all forms of sexual activity" short of penetrative intercourse.

The court heard that the victim was afraid to say anything about the abuse because she was afraid she would be sent away.


The man pleaded guilty to counts of indecent assault and sexual assault at locations in Dublin on dates between April 1st, 1988 and March 28th, 1994. He has no previous convictions.

A local detective told Antonia Boyle, prosecuting, that the victim went into care aged four following the death of her mother and her father leaving her on the steps of a care home.

Secondary school

The detective said the victim was aged 12 when she moved in with the foster family in question and there were a lot of other children in the house. The abuse began when she was aged 13 before she began secondary school.

The victim was sexually abused by her foster father between the ages of 13 and 18 while she lived in the home with the abuse occurring multiple times a week. She was abused on two further occasions after she moved out of the house when she was aged 18.

Ms Boyle told the court that the victim said in her statement she remembers feeling like she did not have a choice when he was doing this to her and was afraid that if she spoke out or told anyone she would be sent away.

In her victim impact statement, from which extracts were read in court by counsel, the victim said she was not sure how it happened or why and that it took so long for her to open up about it because she blamed herself for it.

The victim said she felt “ashamed and dirty”. She said she “lived in fear” and always wished someone would walk in while he was doing it so it would come to an end, but it never happened.

She said she always felt the man had no guilt or remorse for what he had done. She said he had taken away her teenage and young adult years.

Made admissions

In interview with gardaí, the man made admissions to abusing his foster daughter. He told gardaí he thought it was “a mutual thing between us” and that he never thought it would come out.

He told gardaí he was sorry.

The detective agreed with James Dwyer SC, defending, that his client made admissions to a Tusla investigation following a disclosure in 2018 prior to gardaí­ becoming involved.

He agreed with counsel that after gardaí were notified and his client was interviewed, he expressed remorse during the interview which appeared to be real.

Judge Melanie Greally said the victim "was a child of very extreme vulnerability who wanted more than anything else to belong to a normal family and have a normal family life".

She said the breach of trust in these circumstances is therefore “extreme and absolutely appalling”.

She said the offending has had a “catastrophic effect” on the victim at every stage of her life. She said that hopefully there is a brighter future in store for her.

Judge Greally sentenced the man to five years imprisonment.