Spiced green beans
Spiced green beans. Photograph: Emma Jervis Spiced green beans. Photograph: Emma Jervis
- Serves: 4
- Cooking Time: 30 mins
- Course: Side Dish
- 700g green or fine beans, topped
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- Small handful of curry leaves
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 tsp dill/fennel seed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp medium curry powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
1. Mix together the beans, garlic, curry leaves and onion; then, in a separate bowl, mix all the spices – except the black mustard seed – with the salt.
2. Heat the coconut oil in a pan and add the black mustard seed and cook until you hear it “pop”.
3. Add the bean mixture and then the spice mixture, then stir-fry briefly.
4. Add just enough water to nearly cover the contents of the pan, bring to the boil and cook for 12-15 minutes until the water has evaporated.
5. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.