Prunes with orange and cardamon – Carmel Somers’ recipe
Photograph: Emma Jervis
- Serves: 4
- 250g Dried Organic prunesZest and juice of 1 large organic orangeSeeds from 4 cardamon pods, crushed
1. Soak the prunes overnight or for 3 to 5 hours in just enough water to cover. They are ready for cooking when they are soft and plump.
2. Drain any remaining water from the prunes.
3. Next, zest and juice the oranges and chop the zest very fine and add to the prunes along with the cardamon seeds and bring gently to the boil. Turn the heat down to a gentle simmer and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until the prunes start to fall apart when you squeeze them between your fingers.
4. Allow to cool before serving.