Hot chocolate puddings with salted caramel popcorn
These sweet and salty delights can either be served in their ramekins or turned out
- Serves: 4
- Course: Dessert
- Cuisine: Irish
- 100g good quality dark chocolate (min 60% cocoa solids), pieces
- 100g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 75g caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 30g self-raising flour
- 200g vanilla ice cream, to serve
- Salted caramel popcorn15g cooked popcorn
- 50g caster sugar
- 40ml water and an extra 1 tbsp water
- 20g butter
- pinch sea salt flakes
1. Generously grease 4 x 150ml ramekins with butter (dust with cocoa powder or flour if you intend to turn them out).
2. Place the chocolate and butter in a bain marie (a bowl set over a pot of lightly simmering water). Once melted remove from the heat.
3. Whisk together the sugar, eggs and vanilla in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Stir in the melted chocolate until fully combined.
4. Sift the flour into the mixture and fold in.
5. Divide the mixture equally between ramekins and refrigerate for 30-40 minutes (or overnight).
6. To make the salted caramel popcorn, first place the popcorn on a sheet of parchment paper and have all the ingredients weighed out as caramel will burn very quickly. Place the sugar and 40ml water in a saucepan to dissolve over a low heat. Bring up to the boil (and without taking your eyes off the pan) cook for 1 minute until the sugar just starts to turn an amber colour. Immediately whisk in the tablespoon of water, butter and a pinch of sea salt. Continue cooking until it looks like caramel then immediately pour over the popcorn and stir until evenly coated.
7. When ready to bake the puddings, preheat oven to 200°C fan. Bake for 12-15 minutes until the puddings are risen (baking times will depend on how chilled they are, so if visibly liquidy on top give them another 60 seconds). Serve in the ramekins with ice cream