Apples and pears with brown sugar, cream and hot croissants
Paul Flynn’s apples and pears with brown sugar, cream and hot croissants. Photograph: Harry Weir
- Serves: 4
- Cooking Time: 25 mins
- Course: Dessert
- Cuisine: Irish
- A little butter to grease the dish
- 3 pears, peeled and cut into quarters, with the cores removed
- 2 Gala apples, peeled and cut into quarters, with the cores removed
- 2tbsp brown sugar
- 1 small tub of cream
- 4 croissants, opened up lengthways and heated gently in the oven
- 2 fresh bay leaves or a little fresh thyme
1 Heat an oven to 180 Celsius, or equivalent. Rub a shallow ovenproof dish with a little butter.
2 Put the pears, apples and bay leaves in the dish and scatter with brown sugar. Cover in foil and seal. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, depending how ripe the pears are.
3 Peel back the foil and add the cream. Put back in the oven for a further five minutes, until it starts to bubble and thicken.
4 Carefully scoop out the fruit and cream and spoon it over the warm croissants.