West jewellers set to close after 290 years
ONE OF the longest-established firms in the State, West of Grafton Street Limited, is to close its doors. The upmarket jewellers, which first opened as West Sons on Dublin’s Capel Street in 1720, is still trading but is holding a closing-down sale.
Filings received by the Companies Office show that West is controlled by Joe Moran (74) of Manor Homes, while Geraldine L’Estrange West holds a minority stake. The most recent accounts filed show the firm had revenue reserves of €367,046 at April 30th, 2008.
In 1845, the firm moved to College Green. Its next move was to 102 Grafton Street, where River Island now trades, and in 1965 it relocated to its current premises at 33 Grafton Street. In the past the firm has claimed to be the oldest jewellers in Europe.
Over the last two years a number of high-profile overseas jewellers – such as Boodles, and the Tiffany and Cartier concession stands in Brown Thomas – have opened on the street, adding to pressure on traditional jewellers.