Murphy and Tinnelly on target as Shelbourne defeat Cork City to register a vital win

Survival bid stoked up as John McDonnell’side move to within a point of Bohemians

Shelbourne manager John McDonnell whose side registered an important victory at Tolka Park last night.

Shelbourne manager John McDonnell whose side registered an important victory at Tolka Park last night.


Shelbourne 2 Cork City 1

Having had what appeared a good goal disallowed on his debut last week, Lee Murtagh wasn’t to be denied at Tolka Park last night as Shelbourne stoked up their battle for Premier Division survival.

Murtagh struck for the vital lead after 55 minutes with substitute Darren Tinnelly adding a late second as John McDonnell’s side edged to within a point of Bohemians at the foot of the table.

Central defender Kalen Spillane headed home a Daryl Horgan corner to pull a goal back for Cork on 88 minutes but they were left livid as two penalty shouts were denied.

Cork started well, but blew a gilt-edged chance to take the lead after a mere 26 seconds as Ciaran Kilduff’s goal-bound shot was cleared off the line by left-full Pat Flynn.

Another fine ball from Daryl Kavanagh gave Kilduff a run on goal on 26 minutes but his shot failed to trouble Lee Murphy.

In first-half injury time Murphy was alert to tip over the bar from a Gary Buckley header from Ian Turner’s delivery.

But Shelbourne came out a different side in the second half and were ahead on 55 minutes.

Poor defending saw Ian Ryan get on the end of a Sean Brennan free kick to head the ball back across goal for the unmarked Murtagh to fire home his first goal for the club.

Cork thought they’d a penalty on 76 minutes when referee Derek Tomney pointed to the spot after Graham Gartland tackled Daryl Kavanagh in the box. But linesman Mark Gavin flagged to signal a free out.

Another shout for a Cork spot kick was waved away four minutes later when Tinnelly appeared to trip Kavanagh inside the area. And a minute later Tinnelly drilled home Shels’ crucial second goal after a break and cross down the right from Adam Hanlon.

SHELBOURNE: Murphy; Shortall, Ryan, Gartland, Flynn; Brennan, Hurley, Cronin, Doyle (Tinnelly, 78); Hanlon (Mooney, 90+4), Murtagh (Kelly, 85).
CORK CITY: McNulty; J. Kavanagh, Buckley, Spillane, N. Horgan; Turner (Rundle, 66), Dunleavy, Duggan, D. Horgan; D. Kavanagh (Behan, 90), Kilduff.
Referee: Derek Tomney (Dublin)
Attendance: 805.