Roy Keane asks not to be considered for Celtic job
FAI confirm Corkman will remain as Republic of Ireland assistant manager
Roy Keane has asked not to be considered for the managerial vacancy at Celtic. Photograph: Donall Farmer/Inpho
In a short statement, the FAI said the former international midfielder will be on the plane to the United States for the end of season friendlies against Costa Rica and Portugal after relaying his decision to manager Martin O’Neill and FAI chief executive John Delaney.
The statement read: “The Football Association of Ireland today (June 2) confirmed that Roy Keane will travel with the Republic of Ireland squad to the US after he decided not to pursue the informal talks that took place with Celtic any further.”
Keane had been installed as favourite to take over from Neil Lennon at Parkhead, with O’Neill confirming that Celtic majority shareholder Dermot Desmond had made contact with him before talking to the Corkman.
It is understood the discussions did not get as far as a formal job offer. A source close to the club told Press Association Sport: “Roy was not offered the job – no-one has been offered it yet.
“But he has ruled himself out and asked not to be considered for the position.”
Keane had earlier hinted it would be difficult for him to leave his current role with the FAI, as well as his work with ITV.
The ex-Sunderland and Ipswich boss said: “I’ve got a job – I’ve got two jobs – I can’t have another one. They are a brilliant club, an absolutely fantastic football club, one of the best in the world. But I have got a job.“
He added with a smile: ”I’m not taking a pay cut for anybody.”
Keane’s decision now leaves former West Bromwich Albion manager Steve Clarke as the man expected to land the job.
Sacked Cardiff boss Malky Mackay and Owen Coyle – who has been out of work since leaving Wigan last year – are also in the race to take the post.