Europa League: Shane Long on target for Southampton

Ireland striker scores third goal as Saints claim 3-0 win over Vitesse Arnhem

Europa League third qualifying round: Southampton enjoyed a dream return to continental football as they beat Vitesse Arnhem 3-0 to secure a first European win in nearly 34 years.

Saints have endured a topsy-turvy time since their last dalliance with football on this stage in 2003, dropping down to League One and the verge of liquidation before rising to last year secure their best ever Premier League finish.

That surprise seventh place brought with it qualification for the Europa League, which Ronald Koeman's men started with a 3-0 win thanks to goals from Graziano Pelle, Dusan Tadic and an 84th-minute header from Republic of Ireland international Shane Long.

A sold-out St Mary’s witnessed Saints’ first European victory since overcoming Limerick in September 1981, with the result setting them up nicely for the return leg of the third qualifying round tie against the club with whom Koeman cut his managerial teeth.


West Ham boss Slaven Bilic was sent to the Upton Park stands after seeing his side let a two-goal lead slip to draw 2-2 with Romania's Astra Giurgiu as they once again toiled with 10-men as their quest to reach the Europa League group stages lurched on.

Enner Valencia and Mauro Zarate had put the Hammers well in control of their third qualifying round tie before James Collins became the third player to be sent off in five games under Bilic, who was also dismissed by referee Adrien Jaccottet in the closing stages.

Despite dominating before the red card, West Ham could not deal with their opponents who made the most of their numerical advantage as Fernando Boldrin thrashed home, with debutant Angelo Ogbonna then scoring an own goal.

Kenny McLean scored another crucial away goal as Aberdeen bounced back from a difficult start to lose 2-1 to Kairat Almaty in Kazakhstan.

The Dons found themselves two down inside the first quarter but McLean came off the bench to give them hope for the return leg in Scotland.

The former St Mirren midfielder scored his first goal for Aberdeen against Rijeka in the previous round and was on hand to fire home in the 69th minute.

And the visitors survived some late scares to escape with a 2-1 deficit ahead of next Thursday’s second leg at Pittodrie.

Crowd trouble caused the abandonment of the game between Kukesi and Legia Warsaw in Albania.

Legia had just taken a 2-1 lead when their player Ondrej Duda was hit by an object thrown from the stand.

Play was immediately suspended as Duda was taken off the field on a stretcher and had his head bandaged, but he was soon back on his feet and even changed his bloodied shirt in anticipation of a restart which never came.

No announcement had been made on that subject by Uefa.