Wolves net three times in final 10 minutes to stun Aston Villa

Premier League round-up: Southampton pick up first win of the season over Leeds

Aston Villa 2 Wolverhampton Wanderers 3

Wolves claimed an astonishing derby win at Aston Villa after three goals in the final 10 minutes capped a stunning comeback.

Ruben Neves’ deflected free-kick snatched a 3-2 victory in injury time to settle a remarkable game which saw the visitors hit back from 2-0 down.

Romain Saiss and Conor Coady levelled for Bruno Lage’s side after Danny Ings and John McGinn had put Villa in control.


But the hosts imploded after Saiss pulled a goal back with 10 minutes left and could not cope as Wolves earned their fourth win in five games.

Victory lifted Wolves to eighth in the Premier League, moving them above Villa who sit 12th.

The game was open from the start and Tyrone Mings blocked from Hwang Hee-chan after a wretched free-kick from Axel Tuanzebe.

McGinn’s excellent 25-yard effort dropped half a yard wide after 14 minutes but Villa were well restricted by Wolves in the early stages.

Lage’s side were more controlled with the ball, even if they had failed to test Emi Martinez — a late arrival after international duty with Argentina.

But Villa began to wrestle control with Emi Buendia guiding a Matty Cash cross wide before the record signing provided a fine opening for Ings after 27 minutes.

The midfielder slipped in Ings who raced into the area but Jose Sa produced an excellent one-handed stop to turn the shot wide.

Rather than spur Villa on, it woke Wolves up and, four minutes later, Adama Traore should have put them ahead.

He launched a 45-yard run where he skipped past four trailing Villa challenges to leave just Martinez to beat, only to shoot straight at the goalkeeper.

The winger had 48 successful dribbles this season — a league high — going into the game but the finish summed up his lack of end product with the ex-Villa man still waiting for a goal or assist this term.

Saiss and Coady missed Neves’ tempting cross but Villa ended the half on top with Cash firing over.

However, it did not take long for Villa to open the scoring in the second half.

McGinn rolled Saiss on the right and his pinpoint cross was headed into the corner by the onrushing Ings to give the hosts a 48th-minute lead.

McGinn then struck himself after 68 minutes to cap an excellent individual display.

Ollie Watkins seized on a terrible pass from Hwang and his drive was blocked by Coady. The ball rolled for McGinn 20 yards out and his first-time strike struck Neves to arrow into the corner.

Wolves refused to go quietly though and Saiss pulled a goal back with 10 minutes left, finishing from close range from Daniel Podence’s cross.

It set up a grandstand finish and the visitors bundled in the leveller five minutes later.

Max Kilman hit the bar but Villa failed to clear and, eventually, Leander Dendoncker’s cross was turned in by Coady.

They were still not finished and, when Traore was brought down 25 yards out, Neves’ free-kick hit Matt Targett to wrong-foot Martinez and complete a crazy finale.

Southampton 1 Leeds United 0

Armando Broja struck his maiden Premier League goal as Southampton picked up an overdue first win of the season by deservedly beating Leeds 1-0 at St Mary’s.

Saints boss Ralph Hasenhuttl expressed doubt ahead of kick-off about whether Chelsea loanee Broja was ready to start top-flight games.

But the Slough-born Albania striker responded in emphatic fashion, capping a scintillating display by powerfully finishing a flowing breakaway goal in the 53rd minute.

Victory for Southampton ended a nine-match winless league run dating back to last season to lift them a point above their below-par opponents.

Leeds — deprived of influential duo Kalvin Phillips and Raphinha due to injury and international commitments respectively — created little on the south coast and could have few complaints about the result.

The West Yorkshire club arrived in Hampshire buoyed by a first league success of the campaign after beating Watford a fortnight ago.

However, the loss of England midfielder Phillips and Brazil winger Raphinha — who scored a brace against Uruguay in the early hours of Friday morning — forced Marcelo Bielsa into a reshuffle while adding to a noteworthy list of absentees.

Southampton, missing suspended captain James Ward-Prowse, made five changes, including handing a first top-flight start to Broja, who been ineligible for the 3-1 defeat to his parent club at Stamford Bridge last time out.

The lively 20-year-old caused the visitors plenty of problems during an opening period dominated by the hosts.

He headed narrowly wide from an inswinging Nathan Redmond corner, before the pair combined in similar circumstances just two minutes later, with the diving Mohamed Elyounoussi inches away from applying a finishing touch at the far post.

Leeds goalkeeper Illan Meslier had pushed away a low effort from Redmond in between those near misses and, later, used his legs to repel Broja after Pascal Struijk made a mess of a long ball forward.

Saints manager Hasenhuttl warned ahead of kick-off that the quality of the encounter would not be a “five-star dinner”, while also calling for his low-scoring side to be “nasty”.

The Austrian’s only complaint at the break would have been his team’s inability to add to their paltry record of just home strike this term — an own goal scored by Manchester United midfielder Fred almost two months ago.

Leeds produced nothing of note from an attacking perspective in the first 45 minutes but, with an inexperienced bench at his disposal, Bielsa initially opted against changes.

The Argentinian tactician finally saw his side threaten when Jack Harrison’s shot was blocked by Mohammed Salisu, before they were caught out on the break.

Redmond was sent racing towards goal by a defence-splitting pass from Moussa Djenepo before unselfishly squaring across for goal for the unmarked Broja to gleefully lash into the roof of the net.

Elyounoussi almost doubled the advantage when he curled marginally wide, before Salisu was relieved to see Dan James direct the ball off target at the other end following a rare defensive lapse

Match-winner Broja then limped off the pitch to rapturous applause having been clattered by Leeds captain Liam Cooper in the process of scoring the goal.

Leeds’ vocal away following retained hope of a late leveller and continued to urge their side forward.

But, despite being given five minutes of added time to chase a share of the spoils, the home side comfortably held on for a welcome three points.

Norwich City 0 Brighton & Hove Albion 0

Norwich’s wait for a first Premier League win of the season continued as they were left to rue missed chances during a goalless draw with Brighton.

Josh Sargent and Teemu Pukki were guilty of poor misses at Carrow Road, but Daniel Farke’s men did at least earn a second point of the campaign with another clean sheet to make it two games without defeat, having lost their first six matches back in the top flight.

Both Norwich and Brighton had played out 0-0 draws before the international break and no fresh injury concerns meant the teams were unchanged from their respective stalemates with Burnley and Arsenal.

Leandro Trossard gave Seagulls boss Graham Potter an early concern when he required treatment on his elbow, but he was fine to continue before Brighton goalkeeper Robert Sanchez had to make a fine save to keep out a curling effort from Sargent following a neat Cruyff turn.

It would not be the only time the American attacker caused problems for the visitors and yet it was the south-coast side who created the better first-half openings.

Neal Maupay wanted a penalty in the 22nd minute when he raced into the area and rounded Tim Krul only to go down after a slight touch by the Norwich keeper. Referee Peter Bankes awarded a goal-kick and saw his decision backed up by a quick VAR check.

Krul made another key intervention soon after when he produced a superb fingertip save to divert the ball on to the crossbar after Maupay had set up Trossard for an exquisite volley.

It was not all one-way traffic at Carrow Road, with the Canaries enjoying plenty of good moments, the majority involving Sargent, who fluffed his lines at the crucial moment on the stroke of half-time.

The former Werder Bremen forward chased down a loose ball and must have thought his luck was in when Sanchez raced out of his goal and miscued his clearance. It presented Sargent with an open net, but his goalbound effort was too weak and Shane Duffy denied him a maiden Norwich goal.

Immediately after half-time the 21-year-old was involved again, but Dan Burn’s sliding tackle prevented another scoring opportunity.

Potter had seen enough by this point, with full-back Tariq Lamptey introduced for his first Premier League appearance in 10 months.

Solly March, another pacey wing-back for the Seagulls, soon joined Lamptey on the pitch, but only after Pukki had poked wide when played through on goal by Max Aarons in the 64th minute.

Both teams pushed for a late winner, a superb tackle by Burn thwarting Pukki inside the area before Maupay fired over from close range after March’s centre, but the spoils were shared, with Brighton now unbeaten in five league games.