Double Klich helps Leeds open up a three-point lead

Championship Review: Sharp earns Blades a draw at Norwich; Martin O’Neill off the mark with Forest

Mateusz Klich bagged a second-half brace as Leeds extended their lead at the top of the Championship to three points after coming from behind to edge out Rotherham 2-1.

Marcelo Bielsa’s men had faltered in their promotion push recently with three defeats in their previous four outings and the omens did not good when they fell behind to Semi Ajayi’s thunderbolt.

The defender thumped home from 25 yards out after 28 minutes as the Millers went in at half-time with a slender advantage.

Klich equalised six minutes after the restart, converting from close range, and then had a decisive say in the closing stages.


The Poland midfielder coolly slotted beyond Rotherham goalkeeper Marek Rodak with four minutes remaining to send the visiting support into raptures.

Their mood would have been further improved after Norwich twice surrendered a one-goal lead to draw at home to Sheffield United.

The Canaries went ahead after 11 minutes when Onel Hernandez calmly finished between the legs of visiting goalkeeper Dean Henderson, but the Blades drew level on the stroke of half-time through Billy Sharp's penalty after Ireland full back Enda Stevens was fouled in the area.

Teemu Pukki restored Norwich’s lead when he flicked beyond Henderson before the hour, but Sharp bagged his 19th of the season when he headed home in the 79th minute.

Blackburn leapfrogged Hull and moved to within three points of the top six after a comprehensive 3-0 victory at Ewood Park.

The Tigers have been on a hot streak of late with seven wins and three draws in their last 10 Championship fixtures, but goals from Adam Armstrong and Jack Rodwell in the 10th and 18th minutes respectively put Blackburn in control.

Harrison Reed got on the score-sheet a quarter of an hour from time to hand their opponents a first league defeat since November 24th.

Aston Villa are just a point behind Blackburn after Tammy Abraham's double helped them overcome rock-bottom Ipswich 2-1.

Abraham opened the scoring after just six minutes and then doubled their lead from the penalty spot just after the hour following Alan Judge’s foul on John McGinn.

Freddie Sears struck after 76 minutes to set up a grandstand finish but Villa held on.

Former Republic of Ireland manager Martin O'Neill claimed his first win as Nottingham Forest boss as they saw off struggling Wigan 3-1.

Joe Lolley opened the scoring in the 19th minute and, although that was cancelled out by Josh Windass just after the half hour, Matty Cash restored Forest's lead just after the resumption.

Adlene Guedioura doubled Forest's advantage after 80 minutes before Latics substitute Joe Garner saw his late penalty saved by goalkeeper Costel Pantilimon.

Ireland midfielder Alan Browne and Brad Potts struck as Preston claimed a 2-0 win at Stoke, whose afternoon was compounded by Sam Clucas's penalty miss in added time.