Dana White: Conor McGregor to fight Dustin Poirier again in July

The UFC president has announced fight details for 100 per cent capacity event

Dustin Poirier claimed revenge against Conor McGregor at UFC 257. Photograph: Getty Images

Dustin Poirier claimed revenge against Conor McGregor at UFC 257. Photograph: Getty Images

 

Conor McGregor is to meet UFC lightweight rival Dustin Poirier for a third time after claiming two days ago that the fight was off.

Poirier claimed victory when the pair met at UFC 257 in January and McGregor had told his American opponent in an expletive-laden Twitter exchange that their trilogy fight scheduled for July 10th was “off”.

But UFC president Dana White said in a video posted on his Twitter account: “I am so happy to finally be able to say that Vegas is back. This summer Las Vegas is open for business and on July 10th, UFC 264 will be at the T-Mobile Arena at 100 per cent capacity at 20,000 fans.

“This fight will be headlined by the third fight between Dustin Poirier and Conor McGregor. Tickets go on sale this week.”

McGregor suffered a shock defeat to Poirier in their rematch on Fight Island in Abu Dhabi in January.

The 32-year-old Irishman started well in front of around 2,000 fans but was discomforted by persistent kicks to his lead right calf, and Poirier capitalised to secure a dramatic stoppage midway through the second round.

McGregor had previously battered Poirier inside two minutes in September 2014 en route to becoming a two-weight UFC champion and global superstar.

He said at his post-fight press conference in Abu Dhabi, “I’ll keep my eyes on the prize” and “Don’t write me off yet”, but the Poirier defeat was only his third mixed martial arts contest since November 2016.

Earlier this week Poirier responded to McGregor’s Instagram post, in which the Irishman predicted he would win the bout in the fourth round.

McGregor then tweeted: “The fight is off btw (by the way). I’m going to fight someone else on the 10th. Good luck on your old contract kid.”

On Wednesday, however, McGregor clearly had a change of heart as he retweeted a UFC poster of their forthcoming third fight, which said: “Let’s settle it in the Octagon.”

The Irish Times Logo
Commenting on The Irish Times has changed. To comment you must now be an Irish Times subscriber.
SUBSCRIBE
GO BACK
Error Image
The account details entered are not currently associated with an Irish Times subscription. Please subscribe to sign in to comment.
Comment Sign In

Forgot password?
The Irish Times Logo
Thank you
You should receive instructions for resetting your password. When you have reset your password, you can Sign In.
The Irish Times Logo
Please choose a screen name. This name will appear beside any comments you post. Your screen name should follow the standards set out in our community standards.
Screen Name Selection

Hello

Please choose a screen name. This name will appear beside any comments you post. Your screen name should follow the standards set out in our community standards.

The Irish Times Logo
Commenting on The Irish Times has changed. To comment you must now be an Irish Times subscriber.
SUBSCRIBE
Forgot Password
Please enter your email address so we can send you a link to reset your password.

Sign In

Your Comments
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Standards. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or by filling out this form. New comments are only accepted for 3 days from the date of publication.