Mayo find an extra gear to kill off old rivals' comeback


FBD League Final - Mayo 0-12 Galway 0-9:THE GAP was a lot closer than their league meeting three weeks ago, but the result was the same as Mayo picked up their first piece of silverware for 2010 with victory at sub-zero McHale Park, Castlebar, yesterday.

It was Galway boss Joe Kernan’s second defeat at the hands of Mayo in such a short space of time but, despite a game of poor quality, Galway put in a much improved performance with the game in the melting pot going into the last five minutes.

Mayo stood up and kicked on with the winning scores coming from Ronan McGarrity, Chris Barrett, Enda Varley (free) and Séamus O’Shea after Galway had drawn level at 0-8 apiece.

Mayo’s win was not unexpected given the strong team named by O’Mahony and the notable absentees from Galway. But they struggled on a day when both sides found scores hard to come by.

Mayo settled early and dominated around the middle with McGarrity firing them into the lead inside a minute and Varley, who impressed with four points, putting them two clear after five minutes.

But Galway grew stronger around the middle of the park where Barry Cullinane and Niall Coleman did particularly well.

Galway’s Eoin Concannon got them off the mark on six minutes, their second coming from Cullinane after 14 minutes but Mayo edged in front at half-time – 0-6 to 0-4 – thanks to the game’s best score on 30 minutes from Andy Moran.

Mayo’s Aiden O’Shea hit the upright with just the goalkeeper to beat seconds after the break but the rebound fell to Varley who edged Mayo three ahead and the gap went to four thanks to a second point from Moran.

However, Galway rolled up the sleeves for the next 20 minutes and a superb point from Bergin followed by two fine points from wing-back Garry O’Donnell and a free from Cillian de Paor had them level at 0-8 apiece on 52 minutes.

But Mayo found an extra gear in the closing stages to claim the title and the added prize of a trip to New York come November.

MAYO:K O’Malley; A Feeney, G Cafferkey, D Vaughan; P Gardiner (0-1), T Howley, C Barrett (0-1); T Parsons, R McGarrity (0-2); A Moran (0-2), B Kelly, S O’Shea (0-1); E Varley (0-4, one free), A O’Shea, M Ronaldson (0-1). Subs:N Douglas for Kelly (50 mins), K McLoughlin for Howley (55 mins), M Sweeney for Ronaldson (57 mins).

GALWAY:E Conneely; D O’Neill, F Hanley, E McDonagh; T Fahy, D Blake, G O’Donnell (0-2); B Cullinane (0-1), N Coleman; C Bane, C De Paor (0-3, frees), C Healy; E Concannon (0-2, frees), J Bergin (0-1), M Martin. Subs:D Dunleavy for Bane (14 mins). Referee: M Duffy (Sligo).