Gillespie denies rumours of move to Old Trafford


THE NEWCASTLE and Northern Ireland winger Keith Gillespie has denied rumours that he will be leaving Newcastle for his former club Manchester United.

Gillespie, who lost his place after the arrival of Colombian striker Faustino Asprilla, signed for Newcastle as part of Andy Cole's move to United last season. He made up £1 million of the £7 million deal.

"I keep seeing the stories every three or four weeks but I'm committed to Newcastle," insisted Gillespie, who came on as a substitute in Newcastle's 2-1 defeat at Blackburn on Monday.

"It's nice to be back getting a little piece of first team action now I've got to keep working hard. It's been frustrating sitting on the subs bench, especially when the team hasn't been going very well.

But I have got to be patient and hope the chance comes to start a match. I was unfortunate to pick up an injury and perhaps came back too soon, then Tino Asprilla was signed and restricted my chances."

Gillespie came through the ranks with many of the Manchester United youngsters currently starring in the championship race.

Meanwhile, Coventry defender David Busst must wait until next week for surgery to repair the compound fracture of his right leg suffered in Monday's defeat at Manchester United described as being very was back in theatre at Salfords' Hope Hospital yesterday when, surgeons again checked the wound on his leg.

The 28 year old Birmingham born Busst was hurt in a horrific clash with United's Republic of Ireland international Dennis Irwin and he has received a steady flow of flowers, fruit cards and faxes from well wishers.

Busst can expect to be in hospital for at least another 10 days and the operation to pin the broken bone will take place after the weekend once swelling has gone down.

Consultant orthopaedic surgeon, Raymond Ross, said yesterday. "This is a serious injury and David is bearing up well."

He added. "He is remarkably cheerful given the circumstances but he is very tired and needs as much rest as possible. We will continue to monitor him closely in preparation for surgery next week."

Ross has already estimated that it will take up to six months for the fracture to heal and that it will be at least a year before Busst is playing again.

Leeds chairman, Leslie Silver yesterday retired from the Elland Road board on medical grounds.

Managing director Bill Fotherby has stepped in as acting chairman, bringing to an end the 71 year old's 14 years at the helm.

The announcement follows a run of poor results which has caused unrest among supporters but Silver insisted his decision was purely made on medical advice.