Saudi-led air strikes kill 44 in attack on Yemeni army HQ
More than 100 injured, private homes destroyed in capital Sanaa, says news agency
People stand in front of buildings damaged by a Saudi-led air strike that hit the Yemeni army’s main headquarters in Sanaa, June 7th, 2015. Photograph: Reuters/Khaled Abdullah
Saudi-led air strikes killed at least 44 people during an attack on the main headquarters of the Yemeni army in central Sanaa on Sunday, the state news agency Saba said.
More than 100 people, including women and children, were also wounded in the attack, which destroyed private houses in the Tahrir district of central Sanaa adjacent to the compound, Saba said.
Residents earlier reported four explosions at the compound, where soldiers allied with the Iranian-backed Houthi group that now controls large parts of Yemen had gathered since Saturday evening to get their pay cheques.
Saba, now also Houthi-controlled, quoted a source at the health ministry as saying rescue teams were still working to find people under the rubble.
Despite the continued fighting, Hadi’s exiled Yemeni government in Riyadh and the Houthis have agreed to attend UN-sponsored peace talks in Geneva on June 14th.
In the central Yemeni city of Taiz, local officials and medics said eight Houthi fighters had been killed in an attack by Hadi loyalists.
Residents also reported air strikes on military camps east and west of Sanaa, but there was no immediate word on casualties.
The Saudi-owned al-Arabiya television said warplanes had attacked a Yemeni army Scud missile base in Faj Attan, south west of Sanaa. One witness reported at least four air raids and saw thick smoke rising from the area.
Saudi Arabia said on Saturday it had intercepted a Scud missile fired by Yemeni army units towards the Saudi city of Khamees Mushait, the first reported use of ballistic missiles in the conflict.