Three shouted sectarian abuse as they attacked two women in Cork

Judge jails two assailants and remands third in custody for sentencing later over vicious attack

Princes Street Cork. Photograph: Google

Princes Street Cork. Photograph: Google


Two men have been jailed and a third remanded in custody for sentencing following an attack in Cork city centre on two young women at whom they shouted sectarian abuse before laughing and running away.

Jamie O’Flynn (20), Anthony O’Sullivan (20) and Jamie Kelly (20) all pleaded guilty to assault causing harm to Kathrin Rashid while Kelly also pleaded guilty to assault causing harm to her friend, Ester Everston on Patrick St in Cork on July 30th 2012.

Sgt David O’Callaghan told how Ms Rashid and Ms Everston observed the three men hassling a female on her own near Princes St at around 2am on the day in question and shouted at them to leave her alone only for the three of them to turn on Ms Rashid.

O’Flynn caught Ms Rashid, whose mother is German and whose father is Palestinian, and pulled off a traditional headscarf she was wearing before Kelly joined in and hit her while O’Sullivan punched her in the head knocking her against some shop shutters.

Kelly also punched Ms Esterton, a Dutch citizen, knocking her to the ground

and as Ms Rashid tried to get up and retrieve her headscarf, she was kicked

before all three. who had been drinking, shouted at her “you f***in gypsies, f***ing Muslims, f***ing terrorists”.

Ms Everston, who had her eye socket fractured in the attack, said: “How could these guys be so mean. They hit and kicked girls, hitting and kicking my friend on the ground, three against one. I still cannot believe what happened.”

Judge Sean O Donnabhain sentenced Kelly from Glencurrig Court, South

Douglas Road, Cork to two years with the last six months suspended while he

sentenced O’Flynn from Grange Park, Douglas, Cork to two years with nine

months suspended.

Judge Ó Donnabháin said there were particular circumstances in the background of O’Sullivan from The Walk, Herons Wood, Carrigaline, and he remanded him in custody for sentencing on July 30th.