Red Sea bomb suspect shot dead in Egypt

 

Egyptian police shot dead one of the prime suspects in the bombings which killed at least 64 people in the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh, the Interior Ministry said.

His wife was also killed and their four-year-old daughter was injured in an exchange of fire with police, a security source added.

Mohamed Fulayfel was killed in the exchange near Gebel Ataqa, west of the town of Suez, the Interior Ministry said. It did not say when the gunfight took place.

Police investigating the Sharm el-Sheikh bombings on July 23 rdwere looking for Fulayfel, who is also on trial in absentia for bombings at three Red Sea resorts in October last year.

One bomb, at the Hilton hotel in the town of Taba, killed 34 people. His brother Suleiman was killed in the Hilton hotel blast, along with a Palestinian man who police said was the mastermind of the operation. Police said they died because the timing device did not work properly.

Authorities suspect that the Taba and Sharm el-Sheikh bombings - the worst attacks in Egypt since 1981 - were all the work of a group of Bedouin based in northern Sinai. Police had been searching the mountains of southern Sinai for people who might have information on the attacks.