Gone are the days of a shy glance and a dance in the parish hall. According to a recent survey of 1,000 Irish adults by Fly Research, one in four first dates in Ireland is the result of the internet.
And online one-liners seem to do the trick, with more than half of survey respondents saying the opening chat-up line is the key to success.
Here are some of the nation’s favourites:
1. Hi, I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?
2. People call me John but you can call me anytime.
3. So how about I cook dinner, you do breakfast?
4. Excuse me, I think you have something in your eye? Oh wait it’s just sparkle.
5. I’m not a photographer but I can picture you and I together.
6. Did it hurt? When you fell from Heaven?
7. Wow is it hot today or is it just you?
8. I bet you €20 you won’t write back.
9. Do you have any raisins? No? How about a date?
10. Excuse me, I think I dropped something. My jaw!
The survey shows that modern romantics aim to keep their distance, with 30 per cent saying they would prefer to meet someone online first rather than in real life.
But our trust in technology doesn't end there. Impatient matchmakers are no longer waiting to bring home potential suitors to be quizzed by their mammy, as more than half go straight to Google or Facebook to scope out their new love interest.
The survey, commissioned by pizza company Dominos, also shows that those embarking on first dates are determined to keep things casual, and are drawn to activities such as mini-golf, picnics, and casual drinks.
Think you can top Ireland’s favourite chat-up lines? Leave us a comment with your cheesiest opening phrases.