Two remanded over iron bar attack on man in Cork city

Gardaí charge men in their 20s with more serious offences over April 28th incident

Two men have been remanded in custody over an attack with an iron bar which left a man in hospital for more than a month.

Two men have been remanded in custody over an attack with an iron bar which left a man in hospital for more than a month.

 

Two men have been remanded in custody over an attack with an iron bar which left a man in hospital for more than a month.

Eddie Murphy (26) and Jamie O’Brien (20) appeared at Cork District Court in relation to an assault on Mark Lahive at Exchange Business Park, John F Connolly Road, Churchfield, Cork on April 28th.

Mr Lahive (38), a father of two, spent time in an induced coma at Cork University Hospital after undergoing surgery to reduce swelling to his brain.

Both of the accused had been charged with assault causing harm to Mr Lahive contrary to Section 3 of the Non Fatal Offences Against the Person Act 1997.

But on Tuesday, Insp Mary King said the State was withdrawing the Section 3 assault charge against both men and charging them with a more serious Section 4 assault.

Both Mr Murphy and Mr O’Brien were charged with assault causing serious harm to Mr Lahive.

Det Garda Michael Dolan gave evidence of arrest, charge and caution in relation to both men and told the court that both had made no reply to the charge after it was put to them.

Insp King said the Director of Public Prosecutions had directed trial by indictment at circuit court level and she sought a week’s adjournment to allow for the service of the book of evidence on the accused.

Defence solicitors Donal Daly, for Mr Murphy, and Diarmuid Kelleher, for Mr Brien, told Judge Con O’Leary their clients were not applying for bail at this stage.

Judge O’Leary remanded Mr Murphy from Kilmore Road, Knocknaheeny and Mr O’Brien from Meadow Hills, the Meadows, Hollyhill in custody to appear again on July 14th.