Dublin pizzeria ordered to close over ‘substantial’ rodent droppings
The Apache Pizza outlet was the subject of one of six closure orders served last month
A pizzeria in Dublin city centre was served with a closure order last month after ‘substantial’ rodent droppings were found in its kitchen. File photograph: Getty Images/iStockphoto
A pizzeria in Dublin city centre was served with a closure order last month after “substantial” rodent droppings were found in its kitchen.
Apache Pizza on Pearse Street was ordered to close on February 20th after inspectors found droppings around the grease trap in its kitchen. The order has since been lifted.
“The grease trap is in a small cupboard which is not pest-proofed,” the inspection report said.
It said conditions in the kitchen led to “a serious risk of food being contaminated with pathogenic bacteria likely to render the food unfit for human consumption”.
On Wednesday, the Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) said six closure orders, one prohibition order and one improvement order were served in February.
Closure orders were also issued on the food area of the Carrickdale Hotel in Co Louth, the Great Wall Chinese Restaurant and Flame Asian Street Food in Cork, the Hennessy’s Garden Centre cafe in Co Kilkenny and the China Kitchen restaurant in Clonmel, Co Tipperary.
All of the orders except for those issued on Flame Asian Street Food and the Hennessy’s Garden Centre cafe have since been lifted.
Inspectors at the Great Wall Chinese Restaurant said there was “a large amount of rodent droppings” noted throughout the premises, in particular in the dining areas and the kitchen and storage areas.
“Rodent ingress points and gaps and holes in internal walls were noted throughout, in particular [in] the staff toilet, dining and kitchen areas,” the inspectors’ report said.
Inspectors at the China Kitchen said the premises “had not been cleaned in a considerable time”.
“This was evident from mould growth on surfaces adjacent to food storage and preparation, [and] heavy build-up of grease and food debris in a number of areas, including the gas cooker, wok cooker, work surfaces, food containers and utensils,” the inspection report said.
All fridges were described as being in “poor condition”, with rusty shelving and dirty and damaged seals.
“Pools of blood and raw meat juices were noted in one of the fridges. Large accumulations of dirt and old debris were found behind freezers,” the report added.
A prohibition order, which is issued if activities such as handling, processing, manufacturing or storage are likely to pose a serious risk to public health, was served on premises occupied by Agnieszka Karpowicz in Unit 13 of Kernanstown Industrial Estate in Carlow.
Ms Karpowicz has been directed that pork products smoked on the site be withdrawn from sale with immediate effect.
An improvement order was served on Trattoria Toscana in Donegal town, to ensure food handlers are supervised and instructed and/or trained in food hygiene matters.
FSAI chief executive Dr Pamela Byrne said food businesses must prioritise food safety requirements.
“Food businesses must recognise that the legal onus is on them to make sure that the food they sell or serve is safe to eat.
“Some of the recurring findings are filthy premises and premises that are not pest-proofed. These are basic requirements and there are no excuses for bad practice.”
Dr Byrne said non-compliances “are not tolerated” and breaches of food safety legislation were dealt with to the full extent of the law.