Cork caravan fire may have been caused by frying sausages

Gardaí believe blaze that has left one man critical may have broken out in a pan

Gardaí investigating a caravan fire in east Cork that has left one man in a critical condition in hospital believe the fire may have started when the occupants were frying sausages late at night.

Officers investigating the fire at the caravan at Knockgriffin outside Midleton have spoken to one of two men, both in their 20s, who were injured in the blaze, which broke out about 4am on Sunday morning.

One man was taken to Cork University Hospital suffering from serious smoke inhalation. He remains in a critical condition in hospital.

The second man was discharged today.


Gardaí have interviewed the man who was discharged. It’s understood that he told them that they had been frying sausages in a pan shortly before the fire broke out in the caravan.

Gardaí are also examining whether a paraffin heater may have contributed to the blaze, which gutted the caravan before it was brought under control.

Caravan rescue

The two men were rescued from the caravan by the brother of one of the men, who dragged both men to safety after spotting the fire.

Cork County Fire Brigade responded when the alarm was raised.

Midleton Fire Brigade also attended at the scene and brought the fire under control and made the remains of the caravan safe.

Garda technical experts took samples of debris from the scene for analysis but it may take some weeks before the results are available.

Barry Roche

Barry Roche

Barry Roche is Southern Correspondent of The Irish Times