Court hears of vicious attack on two US tourists in Temple Bar area of Dublin

One victim has permanent scarring and still has glass embedded in face

Two American tourists were viciously assaulted by a group of youths after trying to stop a robbery in the city centre, a court has heard.

One of the victims, Garth Russell, is a stockbroker in New York. He suffered permanent facial scarring and still has glass embedded in his face. The court heard his career has suffered greatly because he no longer meets with clients due to his scar.

The court heard his brother Patrick suffered a broken arm as he tried to defend himself against a punch from one of the group.

Violent disorder
Anthony Clifford (23) yesterday appeared at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court in connection with his role in the attack.


Clifford, of Mourne Road, Drimnagh, pleaded guilty to two counts of violent disorder in Temple Bar on April 29th, 2012. Judge Mary Ellen Ring adjourned sentencing until later this month. She called it “an outrageous attack”. Judge Ring also noted Clifford is facing a consecutive sentence as he was on bail at the time of the offence for a hijacking.

Garda Amanda Flood told prosecuting counsel John Fitzgerald that the brothers were staying in a Temple Bar hotel and were walking through the area in the evening when they came across a man lying on the ground surrounded by a group of youths.

'Squaring up'
When they realised the man was being robbed, Garth Russell stepped in and said "come on guys, break it up". He said he would call gardaí if the group didn't leave the man alone. The youths responded by telling him to mind his own business.

The garda said they began “squaring up” to Garth and threatening him, at which point his brother stepped in.

The group began assaulting the brothers by “throwing punches” causing them to flee down an alley onto the quays.

The group gave chase, taking glass bottles from a bin in the alley and throwing them at the brothers. Garth and Patrick tried to get into several taxis to escape but the drivers would not let them in.

The youths, who included Clifford, caught up to them and began hitting them with the bottles. Garth was hit in the face with glass and got a blow to the back of the head after which “everything went dark”.